Single stacks still a worthwhile option?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Single stack carry guns still a worthwhile choice for carry?

• Total voters

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I visit them about once every 10 years and they have no idea where I live. I learned that lesson when one of them "borrowed" a gun I owned and used it to hold up a store. Another one stole a few semi valuable coins I had.
I hear ya, Rick. I’ve got some family members that I grew up hunting with and would enjoy times like that again, but their questionable morals and decisions cause me to stay at a safe distance. I still visit them on occasion but I will not let them know where my cabin and hunting property is because I cannot trust them.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had an older sister that was just a mess. Alcoholic, drug addict, etc... For a short time in the early 80s she worked as a prison guard at a prison in (or near) Rock Springs, WY. Until she helped 3 inmates escape...all hardcore cons doing life for murder and other very serious violent crimes. I hadn't seen her since the late 70s...just before I went into the AF.

She passed about two years ago. I talked to her a few times and heard about all her misadventures from my mom...but never visited her.

My dad was a hard core alcoholic and liar, too. Last I saw him was early 80s. He let me down one too many times. He passed in 2000.

I just don't need that kind of heartache and drama in my life. People that bring nothing but sadness into the lives of others. Family or not, I can do without that. I know that doesn't work for everyone, though. That's just me.

ETA: Sorry for the thread-jack...

ParrotPirate

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I read an article stating that the most common guns used in violent crimes over the last 20 years are the Glock 17 and Glock 19, followed by other double-stack, semi-automatic handguns including the Glock 22. This made me rethink a lot of what Jeff Cooper said because he was basing it on the assumption that his opponent would be using a 5-shot .38spl revolver, or even a .22. I would feel extremely confident carrying a 1911 in 1970, and rightfully so, but currently criminals carry the same guns we do. I hear self-defenders argue about manual safeties, single-stack vs. double and whether you should have a round in the chamber, but I have yet to hear those arguments coming from criminals. If your opponent means to do you harm he or she is almost certainly going to be carrying a double-stack 9mm or .40 with no manual safety and a round in the chamber. I think the feasibility of metal frames, red-dots and smaller/faster calibers are what we should be arguing about currently.

Daryl Licht

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My most common carry gun in warm weather is still a Gen 1 Shield in 9mm. I did add Magguts +2 kits to both mags so now they're 9 and 10 rounds instead of 7 and 8. I carry it with the 9 round +1 chambered and rarely carry a spare. When the Shield Plus came out I considered it but didn't really want to spend $500 to gain at best 3 or 4 rounds when carrying both mags. In cooler weather I usually carry a double stack gun.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I’ve owned and carried and shot the following:

KelTec PF-9 (sold but ended up with another)
Kahr CM9 (sold)
Glock 43 (stolen)
Sig P365 (current)

Recently purchased but not shot yet:
Taurus GX4

Guns I’ve shot but not owned/carried:
S&W M&P shield 9 (not the new plus model)

Guns (common contenders) I have no experience with:
Springfield Hellcat
S&W M&P shield plus

The P365 is easily the best combination of size/shootability of any, even disregarding the capacity. Add that in and it’s a no brainer even considering it’s the most expensive on the list.

See my detailed dimensions here with the CM9 listed also for comparison.

Okshooters Link

There are now 10,12, and 17 rd mags for this platform.

Last edited:

bubbaokie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m with the gentleman who said “whatever is comfortable and you can shoot well”. I also agree with the statement “probably 95% of gunfights are 2-3 shots.” Who cares if your pistol holds 12 or 15 rounds. 6 is probably more than enough.
I’ve started carrying a S&W EZ 9 mm. I have neuropathy and couldn’t work the slide on my XDs 45 (single stack) so I traded it for an EZ.
If I get in a bind maybe I can make it to the pickup to get a couple of 45’s out of the console to finish the battle…..😵‍💫

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I’m with the gentleman who said “whatever is comfortable and you can shoot well”. I also agree with the statement “probably 95% of gunfights are 2-3 shots.” Who cares if your pistol holds 12 or 15 rounds. 6 is probably more than enough.
I’ve started carrying a S&W EZ 9 mm. I have neuropathy and couldn’t work the slide on my XDs 45 (single stack) so I traded it for an EZ.
If I get in a bind maybe I can make it to the pickup to get a couple of 45’s out of the console to finish the battle…..😵‍💫

I don't agree with the logic behind: "only need 2-3 shots, 6 is probably more than enough"

Chances are you'll never need a gun, so we're already planning for an event that beats the odds. I'm not betting against Mr. Murphy. Chances are, you don't need more than 6, but if I can carry 11 with only a couple ounce penalty over a 7 round gun, I'll do that any day of the week. In addition, I find the trigger, accuracy, and control of the P365 beats any of the single stacks I own. Also, it has a rail if I add a WML. Plus if I'm traveling I can use the same gun, have some spare 12 or 15 round mags and not compromise much on firepower.

Same as I don't practice at 5-7 yards only, but also much farther out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom