Sister in law and firearms......

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with the others that what your SIL wants for her child trumps your belief that he should be taught guns & gun safety. It's your brother's responsibility to change her views, not yours. Sometimes events happen in a person's life that will change their views on things like guns. Family tension over the differing views is not such an event.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe you can, with your brother's foreknowledge, simulate a break-in at your SIL's house while they're home. Scare the cr@p out of them, and let her realize that if it had been a real break-in, things could have been really bad.

Then again, she might be too mad at you to see the point...

Disclaimer: I bear no responsibility should you decide to engage in such a hare-brained scheme :P

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No good will come from confronting your SIL ... Talk to your brother privately and then respect his decision to either talk to his wife or leave it be.
This ^^^

You might work on your brother and then let him do the deed. It may or may not work and it may take some time, but it's his place to do it.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe you can, with your brother's foreknowledge, simulate a break-in at your SIL's house while they're home. Scare the cr@p out of them, and let her realize that if it had been a real break-in, things could have been really bad.

Then again, she might be too mad at you to see the point...

Disclaimer: I bear no responsibility should you decide to engage in such a hare-brained scheme :P

You two got me a good laugh here. If I did what you suspect, Perplexed, I would surely be in the chit house. SInce she is 28 weeks pregnant it probably wouldn't be a wise idea. Plus I don't care if they have a gun in their home and feel like they need one for self protection. My concern is young kids and gun safety.

870', that is some funnnnnnay right there. I got a kick out of that thread. BTW, do you happen to know Kevin Holderread, from Cushing?

okie_gunslinger

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm curious as to how your brother feels on the subject. As far as I'm concerned if the child spends a substantial amount of time at your house and you own firearms it's your responsiblity to teach him gun safety wether his momma wants you to or not. If the kid were to hurt himself with one of your guns "I didn't want to step on his mothers toes" is going to be a pretty hollow explanation for why you didn't teach him how to treat them responsibly.

okiemaggie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Please look at this from the other direction. How would you feel if they came to you and wanted you to stop allowing your child access to firearms? You would probably be rather undiplomatic with your reply.

Your SIL has not asked you to change things at your house when her son visits. She is correct about the choking hazards to a newborn and the exuberant irresponsibility of a 4YO with a toy that shoots projectiles. BUT, she hasn't asked you to lock up the nerf guns when he's there.

So let it go and let them have their home the way they want it, since they have done the same for you.

Just make sure your son is well taught because he will teach his cousin everything he knows.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom