Sister in law and firearms......

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with Maggie that your kid will teach his cousin. Don't step on the SILs toes.

That said, boys will make guns and knifes and swords out of anything they find. My son regularly uses whatever piece of train track, stick, or whatever to simulate a weapon. It's in our DNA as males... there is nothing she can do to stop it.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Please look at this from the other direction. How would you feel if they came to you and wanted you to stop allowing your child access to firearms? You would probably be rather undiplomatic with your reply.

Your SIL has not asked you to change things at your house when her son visits. She is correct about the choking hazards to a newborn and the exuberant irresponsibility of a 4YO with a toy that shoots projectiles. BUT, she hasn't aked you to lock up the nerf guns when he's there.

So let it go and let them have their home the way they want it, since they have done the same for you.

Just make sure your son is well taught because he will teach his cousin everything he knows.

I like okiemaggie's entire post especially the bold.

1fast8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Please look at this from the other direction. How would you feel if they came to you and wanted you to stop allowing your child access to firearms? You would probably be rather undiplomatic with your reply.

Your SIL has not asked you to change things at your house when her son visits. She is correct about the choking hazards to a newborn and the exuberant irresponsibility of a 4YO with a toy that shoots projectiles. BUT, she hasn't asked you to lock up the nerf guns when he's there.

So let it go and let them have their home the way they want it, since they have done the same for you.

Just make sure your son is well taught because he will teach his cousin everything he knows.
This is one of the smartest replies I have ever seen here very well done

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There may come a day when the kid is exposed to another friend who has gotten a gun from under Daddy's mattress or safe and showing it off...bad things can happen. He at least should know how to handle a gun and the safety measures to take.

Latest posts

Top Bottom