Skinny barrel sight in

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Depends on weather. If it's 20 degrees, 10-15 minutes. 95 degrees, much longer. This is per 3 shot group, not single shots.

This is during load development for me. 3 shots with maybe 30 seconds or enough time to get my heart beat settled between shots. Then I'll wait until the barrel is still warmish, but not hot at all. This method usually allows me to keep vertical stringing and wild SD's down to almost nothing during load development.

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On standard profile hunting rifle barrels, I’ve always went by bare hand temp reading. Grip the barrel around the middle, just past the forend, if warm, good to go. Uncomfortably hot to touch, open bolt, give it a few minutes. Worst ones I’ve ever experienced to throw 6-12” flyers after three rounds fired, inside of three minutes, were an old Remington 760(?) 30-06 Sprg. slide action rifle,,,, and every AK platform carbine I ever tried to group at 100 yards. Over three rounds. The fourth-fifth round fired always went way out.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sight in as in new rig and new scope?
Or that is dialed in and now for some strings.?
I like to send 3 as quick as I can get back on target.
The longer you let a round sit in the chamber the hotter it will get so know that.
If you do let it rest between shots do not let one rest in a warm chamber and have others in the group sitting in the box or magazine.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sight in as in new rig and new scope?
Or that is dialed in and now for some strings.?
I like to send 3 as quick as I can get back on target.
The longer you let a round sit in the chamber the hotter it will get so know that.
If you do let it rest between shots do not let one rest in a warm chamber and have others in the group sitting in the box or magazine.
I load them one at a time and wait about ten minutes between shots I didn’t know if I should wait longer because it’s a light barrel

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Long winded sorry.
3 shots will not make your barrel too hot unless it is some over bore super speedy thing.

The way I see it for the way I hunt I have to make the first shot count.
First shot needs to get in the same spot as the other shots.

I want to know what will happen if i may miss the shot on a critter and need to make a quick follow up shot.
I have got my antler and antlerless within 10 seconds of each other with a bolt gun.

Here is something else to chew on.
Some barrels have a sweet spot for heat.
95° was the sweet spot for a .308 I had.

Now I did test my .223 with 10 shots fired without rest and my .308 and they both kept a nice tight group.

I had a 7MM Mauser and each shot I took would move the impact a little higher and to the left like a rainbow without any rest between shots.
7" left and 7" high from the first shot.

Let it cool and it would rainbow right back down.

I read many barrels are straightened from the factory.. I even seen how they straighten them in the old days. Just bend them like sticking a pipe in the crook of a tree!

I also read that as the barrel heats up it wants to go back to the bent form and let it cool it gets back to the straight area.

Makes you think.
I am glad the rifles I have now do not mind some heat.
My barrels sitting in the sun on a 100° day get hotter than shooting in a 50° day.

Latest posts

Top Bottom