Skinny barrel sight in

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crapsguy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What are some of your methods of sighting in a light skinny barrel on a hunting rifle? How long do you wait between shots?
I know nothing about this but seems like if you are hunting your first shot is really the only one that counts so why not use the 2-3 shot sight in method and save your bullets

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know nothing about this but seems like if you are hunting your first shot is really the only one that counts so why not use the 2-3 shot sight in method and save your bullets
Lol because I want to know it’s going to hit in the same place second or third shot like swampratt said I may shoot a buck and a doe a few seconds later but I understand what your saying

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went hog hunting with my .223 Axis in Feb. a few years ago.
Seen a bunch in one spot I aimed at the largest female and that 55 V-max dropped her where she stood.
The others took off like lightening and it was fairly thick brush hunting.
I sent another round quick and dropped a little piglet and sent another really quick and by then they were into the thick brush and No kill on #3.
Heart pounding moment as I was 30 feet away from them.

Not only do you need to know where multiple rounds will hit you need to see where they will hit at many different distances.
Yes I check my POI at 25 yards and at 25 feet.
Fun for sure and knowing you made that ammo that puts meat on the table is just a bonus.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lol because I want to know it’s going to hit in the same place second or third shot like swampratt said I may shoot a buck and a doe a few seconds later but I understand what your saying
And because no matter how good we are, we still miss. Ask me how I know, I have plenty of stories. 😬

All of my precision rifles are heavy profile barrels and modern. Rarely does a cold bore shot not touch or at least clover leaf the other other 2 or 4 in the group. More than adequate for a shot on something not hiding behind a hostage or trying to shoot back.

I do have one sorta thin 16" .308 barrel. About round 7 or 8 in a normal string, I'll see fliers of an inch or so so at 100 yards.

I think it's good practice to shoot until you see a noticeable shift due to heat. I like to get more comfortable with my rifles than I do most people.

My mentor used to say "No such thing as too much dope”

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
F98E7DCE-3D0C-469E-BCF8-883D3A66D0B6.jpeg
The black dot in the upper left is the cold bore shot at 100 yards the rest we’re about 10 minutes between shots I was told to shoot one shot then shoot the next shot the next day but I don’t have the opportunity to do so

Latest posts

Top Bottom