SKS vs AK or...? - Which for budget fun/first rifle?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustedBeef

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been wanting to pick up a rifle finally but haven't decided on anything yet. I tried out a friend's 10/22 that had a red/green dot sight and couldn't get into the .22's lack of feedback. Tried his Mosin too and kinda liked it but I'm left eyed so its an effort to find the sights.

Any suggestions?

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
its a buyers market right now for AR15s...meaning you can get a decent gun relatively cheap. Accuracy, reliability, availability of parts and support, etc...coming from (originally) an AK guy.

If you must go Russian, Go AK instead of SKS...theirs a reason mother Russia has held onto that platform for so long. SKS can have a slight edge on accuracy but inferior in every other way.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Between the choices of SKS or AK, my vote is the Ak. I've had both and the SKS just feels really weird when I shouldered it. The AK felt natural.

D V US

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you must go Russian, Go AK instead of SKS...theirs a reason mother Russia has held onto that platform for so long. SKS can have a slight edge on accuracy but inferior in every other way.
I'm afraid I have to strongly dissagree with the statement that the SKS is "inferior in every other way." I have both an SKS and an AK and yes, for accuracy the SKS has a distinct advantage but it also has a much more solid feel to it and though recoil is minimal with the 7.62 X 39 there is even less with the SKS. Fit and finish of a Russian SKS is probably some of the finest you will see on a military rifle and reliability is right there with the AK. If it's a lead sprayer you want, the AK is your toy, but for anything else the SKS may be better suited. Pricewise the SKS also gets the nod, though you'll probably never see them again for $79, you can pick up a cheap SKS shooter for as low as $300 but figure on $400 and up for a good Russian. AKs seem to be starting around $600 or more depending on the variant. Both are good rifles, the SKS is hardly inferior, but both are the cheapest to shoot this side of a .22.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm afraid I have to strongly dissagree with the statement that the SKS is "inferior in every other way." I have both an SKS and an AK and yes, for accuracy the SKS has a distinct advantage but it also has a much more solid feel to it and though recoil is minimal with the 7.62 X 39 there is even less with the SKS. Fit and finish of a Russian SKS is probably some of the finest you will see on a military rifle and reliability is right there with the AK. If it's a lead sprayer you want, the AK is your toy, but for anything else the SKS may be better suited. Pricewise the SKS also gets the nod, though you'll probably never see them again for $79, you can pick up a cheap SKS shooter for as low as $300 but figure on $400 and up for a good Russian. AKs seem to be starting around $600 or more depending on the variant. Both are good rifles, the SKS is hardly inferior, but both are the cheapest to shoot this side of a .22.

I might have taken it a little far with that comment especially when full auto fire isn't a factor. The biggest victories for the AK, at least for me are the pistol grip (+1 AK), loading system/magazines (+2 AK), ease of field stripping (slight +3 AK), average barrel length is shorter making the weapon more agile (for me is a +4, may not be for you long range x39 shooters :rolleyes:).

Recoil, reliability, weight are all a wash (with a stamped AK weighing slightly less unloaded). The SKS has the advantage if doing a lot of bench or prone shooting. Acurracy wise...compare a good SKS to a GOOD AK and its not a night and day difference. To me the AK mag system is the biggest advantage as a self defense or battle weapon. Don't even give me the SKS-D or SKS-M bull because they aren't exactly for sale everywhere and usually cost close to an AK. Price wise of course the SKS wins.

Latest posts

Top Bottom