SKS vs AK or...? - Which for budget fun/first rifle?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hard choice. SKSs are excellent rifles, basically the same ergos as the majority of .22 rifles we had as kids. It's hard to argue with the AR, as it's not only an excellent rifle, but right now is the "good old days" for them, because the prices are stupid low on some very good models. But being an avid AK guy, now may be the time. With a better than even chance that Clinton will take the White Hut in November, you can bet imports may be heavily restricted - including ammo. Domestic rifles will be in jeopardy as well, but any "military style" import and it's ammo will be low hanging fruit. The best SKSs (IMHO) are already here - Russian and Chinese - and their prices are already escalating. Any restrictions on imports and they will skyrocket as well. But I'd take a serious look at an AK, as their import days may be numbered, not to mention the fact that many foreign arsenals are cutting commercial exports to fill military contracts overseas (Arsenal Bulgaria, Zastava, etc.). Fewer offerings already, with storm clouds on the horizon.

So there. Clear as mud. But you can't go wrong with any choice, it's just a matter of what fits you best, and what you're looking for. They each have their strengths and weaknesses, and for the currently available, they have their good reasons to get them NOW.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
its a buyers market right now for AR15s...meaning you can get a decent gun relatively cheap. Accuracy, reliability, availability of parts and support, etc...coming from (originally) an AK guy.

Concur with the above - AR prices now routinely beat AK prices which is a reversal from just 5 years ago.
I think Palmetto State Armory is selling a complete AR kit for under $400.
If you want a complete rifle look around Slickguns.com and you will see some amazing deals - both S&W and Ruger are selling their baseline AR-15s for bargain basement prices right now.

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Concur with the above - AR prices now routinely beat AK prices which is a reversal from just 5 years ago.
I think Palmetto State Armory is selling a complete AR kit for under $400.
If you want a complete rifle look around Slickguns.com and you will see some amazing deals - both S&W and Ruger are selling their baseline AR-15s for bargain basement prices right now.
PSA has two kits on sale (one a Father's Day special) for $399. Fat Boy Tactical has four kits listed on their website--two for $389 and two for $399--and these are everyday pricing. With all of these kits, however, you have to obtain a stripped lower separately. If you order the lower on the same invoice, a "manufacturing" tax will be added to your cost.

RustedBeef

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I realize it's likely not as complicated as I'm thinking but... been shying away from ARs since I really have no idea what anyone is talking about with uppers, lowers, middles and whatnot. Not sure where to begin with assembling a rifle let alone what tools to use lol.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The ar will have 2 parts upper and lower.

To assemble the lower you will need a roll pin set ($10 at any hardware store), a screw driver or hex bit (depending the grip screw), and an armourers wrench ($5-30), not required but it's easier if you have an exacto knife and a set of channel locks.

The upper you will need some roll pins, an Allen head (if your gas block takes one if not it will be pinned), the armourers wrench (if you bought a combo one it will have the provisions for a barrel nut), some hanguards require special tools either they provide or it's a crows foot. A vise block makes the process drastically easier.

Ars are very simple to build, my first one was built using a YouTube video and any hiccups I had was answered on here. Right now you can get into an ar for $4-500 buy a palmetto lower build kit and buy an assembled upper and you are set.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Naw I'm right handed. Its pretty hard for me to shoot a rifle, so I haven't really jumped on buying one yet.

Does anybody know if one of the rifles you're all talking about is easier for someone with cross dominance like myself?

You say it's hard to shoot a rifle, so will this be your first rifle?
If you are cross dominant the ar may just be the best choice because it can you can get am I lower parts and I have seen uppers that are made for lefties ( I don't know how expensive they are but I have seen them)

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Regular AR-15 ejection isn't problematic at all for left-hand shooters. It's one of the most ergonomic right-hand platforms in the context of left-hand shooting.

Latest posts

Top Bottom