SKS vs AK or...? - Which for budget fun/first rifle?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D V US

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Gotta admit, the AR is the most ambidextrous of the three, with the SKS the least as the safety was designed away from the left hand. The 7.62X39 has more punch to it though than the 5.56.

thaHooligan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
VZ2008 maybe?

About a year ago I wanted to get something in 7.62x39 since the ammo was available and cheap and I was originally going to get either an SKS or an AK. Ive shot several SKS's before over the years and they always just felt a little awkward to me. The shape of the stock or something I guess. But on the other hand the AK would cost a few hundred $$$ more. After looking around at different guns, I ended up going with the VZ2008. I think I got it from PSA for $399 and it came with 3 mags. Ive been very pleased with it so far and haven't had any problems. Just another option I thought Id throw out there. I think palmetto is currently out of them, but they may be available somewhere else, Im not sure.

RustedBeef

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wish my range had more rentals. They have an ak74, myosin, Thompson subhuman a Barret 50 cal, and some 300 blackout. Only tried the myosin so far.

What should I try next time?

farmer17

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a PSA Classic full lower unit for $149 shipped. These were called "Blems" but I couldn't find any blemishes on it, and many AR-15 snobs that shoot high dollar guns say theses are pretty decent lower receiver units. I then bought an Anderson 16" M-4 upper with bolt charging group for $309 shipped and it took me about 5 seconds to put the rifle together. It's been very accurate and perfectly reliable.

rmark

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the SKS, the AK I borrowed was front heavy and too short stocked for my long arms. But I like WW2 era stuff and the SKS harkens back to that era.

Latest posts

Top Bottom