SKS vs AK or...? - Which for budget fun/first rifle?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustedBeef

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does the original poster want accuracy or does he want to just lob lead in a semi auto fashion.
What kind of accuracy would pleas him.
Shooting squirrel heads at 200 yards or shooting milk jugs at 100 yards.

That would be a good question. AKs and SKSs weren't meant for "shooting squirrel heads at 200 yards", so if that is the goal, they aren't the rifle for the OP. They were meant for shooting human-sized targets at close to medium range, and they've excelled at that for decades. So with those options, the milk jugs at 100 yards should be doable. Different rifles for different things, and for different tastes. For me, "accurate enough" is good enough, as I don't get into the "how tight of groups can I shoot" thing, and shooting at paper from a bench loses it's appeal within about 1 magazine. But shooting at random targets out to about 100 yards - whether in a field, or shooting into a creek, etc., is a great time with an SKS or AK, but would be pretty "meh" (to me) with a nice bolt action.

Killing some water jugs at 100 yards would be more of what I'd be doing with it. There's an SKS at a local pawn shop here wit ha 20 rd fixed mag going for $299 and I'm real tempted. It looks a little beat up with some rust on the outside of the barrel though and doesn't have a bayonet. Think it's a good buy or should I look around some more? I'd like an AK but $600? Pft!

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If that 20 round fixed mag is the one marked with a "star" on the side, that mag is worth about 25% or so of what they're asking for the rifle. If it's not totally rough, $299 isn't bad.

mikhailk

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Definately go with an AK over SKS. Spend the extra hundred or two for a WASR. I bought a new, never fired WASR 10 on armslist for $500 a few weeks ago in okc, so they are out there. AK over an AR is a difference question. I personally like AKs and ARs, both for different reasons. I'd recommend one of each, if possible. But if I had to go with one, I'd buy an AKM in 7.62x39. My first rifle was an AK and it was a great decision but it opened the flood gates. ... 8 AKs and counting.....

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If that 20 round fixed mag is the one marked with a "star" on the side, that mag is worth about 25% or so of what they're asking for the rifle. If it's not totally rough, $299 isn't bad.

I had one of the 20rd fixed mags with the star, and even with it in rough shape, sold it a few months ago for $75. And the last SKS I bought was $350. So $299 with a 20rd fixed mag is a great price if the condition is reasonable.

I love my SKSs. And with stripper clips the ammo is easy to carry and load, and cheaper than buying magazines.

BlackRiflesBoy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
AR 100%. It is the grown up erector set. There are so so many aftermarket options out there to be able to truly enjoy making the rifle yours. My second choice would be an AK because they are so dang rugged and fun to shoot. If you have the chance, go shoot as many different rifles as you can with anyone who will have you along, or go rent them at a range so you can see what you like before you buy.

Latest posts

Top Bottom