Sleep Apnea, CPAPs and such

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We've talked about these gizmos before, but rather than Lazarus-up an old thread, I thought it best to start a new one...
So: CPAP: Continuous Positive Air Pressure. There are other devices for sleep apnea, Bi-PAPs, and so on...but they all give you air so you can breathe as you sleep. Sleep Apnea is a silent killer. It is linked to a host of health problems. If you know you have sleep apnea, you probably agree with me. If you suspect it, well, maybe you should talk to a doc and think about doing a sleep study. It is also tied or akin to Restless Legs Syndrome which, like sleep apnea, is a condition you might not even know you have, but if you sleep next to someone, they know it! You flop around in bed and may kick the crap outta them a lot.

I've been using a machine for years. It has probably saved my life, (either the apnea or the wife was gonna do me in) as my first sleep study told me I was getting zero stage 4 sleep and was having an average of 37 events per hour, some longer than 30 seconds per event. An event is when you are "asleep'" and just stop breathing. It's usually caused by an obstruction; thus, it's called Obstructive Sleep Apnea. So, when you are "sleeping" and stop breathing; you may snort, gasp, or snore to counteract that and make your self grab a breath. But sometimes, you don't start again. And if you stop breathing long enough, you die. Basically, before I started using a machine, I was breathing about half the time I should have been when I was trying to "sleep". I had real difficulty getting into a deep sleep, like never...I didn't dream, tossed and turned, gasped, snorted, snored.... the full meal deal. My wife was constantly smacking me and telling me to shut up or turn over or ...other stuff. Not good.

So, after some several years with a CPAP, the Doc had me do another study and I found that I have not only Obstructive Sleep Apnea, but a recently discovered (Called?) kind of apnea called Central Sleep Apnea as well. So now I use a machine called an Adaptive Servo-Ventilator. I guess it knows the difference in obstructive and central apnea and gives me a positive airflow in either case so I can continue to breathe as I sleep. I always thought these would be hard to use, trying to sleep with this big Darth Vader looking headgear on, ya know? But it's no big deal; man, I strap that gizmo on my mug, hit the button and I am usually out pretty quick. I sleep a bazillion times better and wake up feeling pretty good. Because I am getting oxygen regularly now, I sleep deeper, easier and better now.

Any other users here? What's your experiences? Do you have trouble with the mask? Use a humidifier? (I do). Other?

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've used a CPAP for about 10 years now. Has humidifier. I had no trouble adapting to the full face mask. Can't sleep well without it. I just had another sleep study and will get a new machine soon - they don't have parts for my current one anymore.
The big problem is when I travel - the CPAP takes up more than half the space of my carry-on. I'd like to get one of those travel units but insurance doesn't cover those and they are about $1000.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been using a CPAP for about three years. Pretty much the same story as yours. Study had me at 34 events per hour and now, according to the daily readout, average is 3 per hour. i put distilled water in my machine to add the humidity. I use nasal pillows instead of a full mask. It really didn't take too long to get used to it and I'm pleased. My machine packs in a fairly small case, but it does take up some space in carry-on

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Joel, does your new machine mix oxygen with the air?
Dave, my doc has travel machines that are in the 550 range but they don’t have a water chamber. I can tell when mine runs out of water. I’m with you though, when I travel it sucks to break it all down and set it up again. Bigfug had one like mine for sale a while back. I was to late to buy it as a travel unit. Id still have to break it down and stuff but I could leave mine at the house and not mess with it.

bubbaokie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been using one since 1992, took me a long time to get used to it....about 5 minutes!!! Now I can't sleep without it, Finally got one a few years ago that could hook to 12V when electricity was off. That was GREAT, since in my rural area elec seems to go off fairly often. I have 2 units, one for travel and one at home. I always keep a marine 12V charged in the bedroom for emergencies. Also can now go to the mountains elk hunting with out lugging a generator and keeping the whole mountain awake.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've used a CPAP for about 10 years now. Has humidifier. I had no trouble adapting to the full face mask. Can't sleep well without it. I just had another sleep study and will get a new machine soon - they don't have parts for my current one anymore.
The big problem is when I travel - the CPAP takes up more than half the space of my carry-on. I'd like to get one of those travel units but insurance doesn't cover those and they are about $1000.

Airlines do not count the CPAP as a carry-on and it doesn't cost you anything extra. Just pack it in its case and tell them it a CPAP, no problem.

Joel, does your new machine mix oxygen with the air?
Dave, my doc has travel machines that are in the 550 range but they don’t have a water chamber. I can tell when mine runs out of water. I’m with you though, when I travel it sucks to break it all down and set it up again. Bigfug had one like mine for sale a while back. I was to late to buy it as a travel unit. Id still have to break it down and stuff but I could leave mine at the house and not mess with it.

Mine does not mix in oxygen.

By the way, guys, I have a Respironics CPAP with humidifier in the pay it forward section... I traveled with it a few times. You can take the humidifier off and it's only about 6"X^ in size, plus the mask and holes of course.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fortunately, I'm blessed in that I apparently don't need such a thing. However, we were park hosts at an RV park in Utah for about 9 months. The park would loan out a 100' extension cord to folks in the tenting area if they wanted electric for their phones, laptops, etc. We had a couple of ladies come in to tent camp and asked about electric. I first told her we were out of extension cords. She mentioned a CPAP machine, so the wife and I went to Ace Hardware and bought a 100-footer with our own money for her to use.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My mother got rid of her sleep apnea and off the CPAP through weight loss. I know others who have stopped it and stopped snoring through weight loss.

Not saying you shouldn't use the machine if you need it, but definitely is a factor that should be looked at if you're diagnosed with sleep apnea or even a heavy snorer who doesn't get restful sleep (which was me years ago). It makes a HUGE difference.

Latest posts

Top Bottom