Sleep Apnea, CPAPs and such

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My mother got rid of her sleep apnea and off the CPAP through weight loss. I know others who have stopped it and stopped snoring through weight loss.

Not saying you shouldn't use the machine if you need it, but definitely is a factor that should be looked at if you're diagnosed with sleep apnea or even a heavy snorer who doesn't get restful sleep (which was me years ago). It makes a HUGE difference.

I wish this was true in all cases. I lost almost 30 lbs 2 years ago in an attempt to get rid of OSA, but my diagnosis actually went from moderate/mild to moderate/severe on my sleep study. 30lbs doesn't sound like a lot, but i was at 155 lbs after that weight loss. I was too skinny honestly. I was determined to get rid of it, as i was embarrassed to be 30 years old and using a CPAP, but i can honestly say i've had OSA since my early 20's if not teen years.

I'm currently at 180-ish and just embrace my CPAP now. I sleep so much better with it.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Weight loss is great...if you need to lose the weight. As I said, I lost 50 lbs, most of it in the first 6 weeks of strict dieting and working out. I go to the gym probably 6 days a week still and one of the first things I do is pick up two 25 lb dumbbells and walk around with them to remind me what is was like to carry 50 excess lbs. It sure helps me keep focused on eating right and not skipping my workouts. But it didn’t make my sleep apnea any better. The machine is a lifesaver!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wish this was true in all cases. I lost almost 30 lbs 2 years ago in an attempt to get rid of OSA, but my diagnosis actually went from moderate/mild to moderate/severe on my sleep study. 30lbs doesn't sound like a lot, but i was at 155 lbs after that weight loss. I was too skinny honestly. I was determined to get rid of it, as i was embarrassed to be 30 years old and using a CPAP, but i can honestly say i've had OSA since my early 20's if not teen years.

I'm currently at 180-ish and just embrace my CPAP now. I sleep so much better with it.

Right I don't mean to imply that it works for everyone in all instances. But for a lot (maybe a majority) of people, it will greatly improve the symptoms and improve their sleep and other qualities of life.

I will say though that 155 probably isn't underweight or too skinny. Most men would have to be over 6 feet for it to be too skinny, and 6'3+ for it to be considered actually unhealthy.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Agreed.

But most of us (sleep apnea diagnosis or not) do need to lose the weight :) Good on you for the success though. I'm down 60 from where I was 7 years ago.

I did it the old fashioned way. I burned more calories working out than I took in at the table. No stomach shrinking nonsense for me, none of that is needed if you have a bit of willpower and the desire to get rid of the fat. Just push away from the table, cut out the junk food and useless snacks and pump iron. Lifting weights properly burns a lot of calories quickly. I feel much better, look much better, and even though it didn't take care of the sleep apnea, I'm a lot better off than I was two years ago.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Right I don't mean to imply that it works for everyone in all instances. But for a lot (maybe a majority) of people, it will greatly improve the symptoms and improve their sleep and other qualities of life.

I will say though that 155 probably isn't underweight or too skinny. Most men would have to be over 6 feet for it to be too skinny, and 6'3+ for it to be considered actually unhealthy.

I probably wasn't "underweight" but i was definetely too skinny for my frame, if that makes senese. I'm technically a little over weight but i think my current weight is a healthy weight for me. I wish it would have worked but, in the grand scheme of things, its a pretty minor health issue that is easy to keep in check.

Latest posts

Top Bottom