Slot car racing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Was the place you went to in OKC?

I went to the place in del city off 29th and Vicky.
I'm surprised this is still popular. I would have guessed only life-alert users.
Haha I was too, I didn’t know it was still a thing.
I didn't realize it was still going on. I would like to find a track and just go watch sometime.
They do meets on thursdays in del city, and I think they specifically do drag racing on saturdays. You can call and see what the schedule looks like, it’s run by a guy after he gets off the normal 9-5 job. They sell everything you need to run your a pre made setup or build your own from scratch, and they have rentals as well. I showed up with my neighbor and a random guy asked me if I wanted to drag race, staged the car, and handed me the controller before I got to shake his hand and introduce myself. Good bunch of guys there.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a home HO slot car set with a crossing track that allowed one to run the slot cars with the HO scale train. Being as I was doing it all pretty much by myself, I enjoyed trying to time the cars to avoid the train.

I've been t-boned many a time with that set.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
So my neighbor has been into it since the 60s, and he invited me to go to the slot car track with him yesterday. I had never even seen a slot car before, and decided to go. Man, that’s some pretty cool stuff. Tons of fun. Did some drag racing and some around the track stuff. I remember as a kid driving past the track in del city and wanting to go, never was able to. I don’t really have any pics other than my best drag time, which was the scale equivalent of running a 9.73 on the quarter. View attachment 308352
According to your reaction time, you was making a sammich at the lght.

Is this the one on Drexel? I tried to get in one time when the blue pickup was there but the doors were locked.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
When I was real young, like 6 or 7, my dad and uncle raced after hours at the OTASCO on Main St. in Shawnee. I remember begging them to go all the time but I only got to go a couple times.They raced the 1/24 scale cars on a big track in the back of the store.

After the track shut down they gave me their old cars and I kept them for a long time hoping that I would find a place to race them.

Dad had two Corvettes that came with a clear body. You painted the inside of the body and it gave it a real shiny look on the outside. My uncle had a blue '65 GTO that was my favorite.

I wish I still had those cars and a local place to race them.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score

Is this the one on Drexel? I tried to get in one time when the blue pickup was there but the doors were locked.
Nah, this was off SE29th and sunnylane. I feel like a lot of tracks run like this one: open at certain times and for special events only. The owner was telling me that he just doesn’t generate enough business to run the AC/lights all day, so he’s only open 2-3 days a week in the evenings after getting off the regular job. Solid setup though, has a full selection of parts, cars, etc. has fridges full of drinks, a hotdog roller for big events, buckets of candy, you can run a tab, the whole nine yards.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score

And yeah, definitely slow, that’s for sure. That’s about my average though, I did get a .004 reaction time, but that was after jumping the light twice, so pretty sure it was luck.

enuf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Way too cool - my grandson and I run slots and trains here at the house on a very small scale. We (really him, I am the pit man) run RC at a track on a larger scale (Shiftys RC). This is "real" stuff compared to stupid video games. Love Love Love.

ICanFixIt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I found theseold pictures of my last home slot track. The HO setup was OK, I guess, but it certainly didn't compare to the 1/24 commercial tracks.

Attachments

• SlotCar1.jpg
    SlotCar1.jpg
    451.7 KB · Views: 0
  • SlotCar2.jpg
    SlotCar2.jpg
    406.7 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Top Bottom