Slugs, buckshot or birdshot. Which do you choose?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
This guy convinced me that buckshot is the way to go. I previously was always a fan of larger shot like 4 or 5s but looks like I was wrong.

Thoughts?

https://resources.mossberg.com/jour...1TQ&utm_content=220515786&utm_source=hs_email
Side note - I did find it comical when he said "the first time I ever shot someone". What the heck? :D
Our 870 loadout was 00 buck, slug, 00, slug 00, and two more boxes of each in the trunk.

Something neat in shotgun range class we learned how to bounce shoot off of a concrete wall and under a car. I never knew bullets would follow the wall or ground about 6 inches when shot on a hard flat surface. If someone is hiding behind a vehicle shooting at you, you can shoot buckshot about 10 to 15 feet on the ground before the vehicle and take out his legs.

I don't know if that is still taught or not.

Last edited:

RETOKSQUID

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Our 870 loadout was 00 buck, slug, 00, slug 00, and two more boxes of each in the trunk.

Something neat in shotgun range class we learned how to bounce shoot off of a concrete wall and under a car. I never knew bullets would follow the wall or ground about 6 inches when shot on a hard flat surface. If someone is hiding behind a vehicle shooting at you, you can shoot buckshot about 10 to 15 feet on the ground before the vehicle and take out his legs.

I don't know if that is still taught or not.
Last time I checked it is in the Navy for MAs and 9545 personnel. Was in Florida and Washington, but that's been almost 30 years ago.

Taught my wife and daughter how to make the shots a few years back.

Jgibs0321

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This guy convinced me that buckshot is the way to go. I previously was always a fan of larger shot like 4 or 5s but looks like I was wrong.

Thoughts?

https://resources.mossberg.com/jour...1TQ&utm_content=220515786&utm_source=hs_email
Side note - I did find it comical when he said "the first time I ever shot someone". What the heck? :D
Ultimately, within a room, any shell in a shotgun is going to ruin a persons day. However buckshot is a destructive beauty, slugs…(why not just use a rifle then?) and birdshot, Id use turkey shot or goose/duck loads in a house if its all I had. No matter what a defensive shooting in close quarters or at distance is the same, shoot target, repeat until desired effect on target is achieved.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
00 Buck in a Winchester 1897 Riot Gun is my choice. Birdshot may make a nice neat hole in paper at 10’-15’ but I’d like to see it on a leather/denim jacket or ballistics gel. My guess is penetration drops off QUICKLY. Then there’s the slug folks and yes, it would make a hole that could poke your arm through but it is only one hole at a time and not what I’m looking for in an HD round. I’ll take 9 .33 caliber bullets traveling at 1400fps when dealing with an intruder thank you very much. 😉

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do not even have a shotgun anymore but if I get a chance at a cheap 20ga semi-auto I will. In a 12 ga I always liked what used to be called a Malaysia load. 00 buck "buffered" with #4 shot. In a 20ga, #3 buck will do the trick.

Latest posts

Top Bottom