Small Sailboat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a Catalina 22 when I was in Hawaii. Sailed that thing all around the islands too. Lots of fun times on that boat. Decent boat; forgiving and easy to sail. I just want something to putter around in like on Lake Hefner and such. Maybe me and one other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For a singe hull I'd look at a Lido 14. THey are very popular on the West Coast and do well in rough water. If you want fun and to haul ass on the water look at a Hobie 16 or Prindle 15 catamaran. Image search all I mentioned fi you have not heard of them.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just a story not related to Drury's request.
A work friend decided he wanted to learn how to sail. He bought one of the little sailboats without a keel, made for really small lakes.
He took it out to the 9800 sq mile Kaw lake on the first trip out on a windy day near the dam. He capsized 10 minutes into the trip with the sail under water and had to hold on to the rope behind the boat for most of an hour before the sail hit some bottom and he could climb onto the hull, release the sail and tip it back upright.
Y'all would have to know this guy to really get an understanding of how he operates.
He eventually bought a sailboat with a removable keel and sails all over the lake.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you get a boat you will have to go out on the ocean. And then you will have to get a pony and ride him on your boat. And then you could be together on the ocean you upon your pony on your boat! At least that’s what Lyle said anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'll acknowledge this, good one, Lyle... :)

Riley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was going to suggest something like a Catalina 22, or 25. Cal and Santana had some good boats in the range as well. Either a Cal or Santana (Tuna) 20 would be a stable yet entertaining small boat. You could set it up for a chute if you were feeling adventurous. As you know, the performance dinghy's and catamarans require a fairly high degree of agility while a fixed or lower-able keel would require less. Geeze, sailing used to be my thing in SoCal. Not so much these days but it's something I really had a great time with in 'the day'.

Riley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just a story not related to Drury's request.
A work friend decided he wanted to learn how to sail. He bought one of the little sailboats without a keel, made for really small lakes.
He took it out to the 9800 sq mile Kaw lake on the first trip out on a windy day near the dam. He capsized 10 minutes into the trip with the sail under water and had to hold on to the rope behind the boat for most of an hour before the sail hit some bottom and he could climb onto the hull, release the sail and tip it back upright.
Y'all would have to know this guy to really get an understanding of how he operates.
He eventually bought a sailboat with a removable keel and sails all over the lake.

I remember learning to sail and jibe a Lazer in New Mexico, I was literately being launched through the air every time I tried to get the wind from side to side across the stern. By the end of the afternoon, I could manage to stay aboard though I was black and blue for days from up righting the boat, pulling myself aboard and trying it again...Though the last time I capsized a dingy was in San Diego a few years ago with a buddy driving, he ended up in the bay and I managed to get over the side onto the keel...we both lost out phones on that one...good times...

COZICAN

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you get a boat you will have to go out on the ocean. And then you will have to get a pony and ride him on your boat. And then you could be together on the ocean you upon your pony on your boat! At least that’s what Lyle said anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I've seen Jimmy Buffett do that. Was actually the first time I'd heard it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom