small tube red dot vs reflex style sights?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Seems to me that the main con of the tube style red dots, especially the 20mm ones is it is harder to find the dot in a hurry. I otherwise love the compact, light-weight design, and the look. But if it takes more time to find the dot, seems like this would not be the best choice for a semi-auto rifle or shotgun?

The alternative is the more open, reflex style sights that also come in micro designs but may not be as durable. I am experimenting with various sight on air guns and trying to figure out what I prefer. HOWEVER, for my target pistol, it hasn't been an issue because I take my time with each shot.

I do have an eotech and like it except for the bulk and weight, so I've been trying to justify a way to move to the smaller sights but the tube thing just hangs me up.

Can anyone lend their own experience to the matter? Can anyone specifically share their experience with the micro reflex sights (sights like the burris fast fire).

Thanks

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Small tube style red dots work fine on guns where your cheek-weld and the length of the gun itself lead to "natural alignment". As long as it's not mounted excessively high then most times the dot is right in the middle of where your eye would be looking down the irons anyway.

Micro reflex sights also work fine on long guns for the reasons stated above, but have a more fragile design.

The new Aimpont ACRO is sort of a blend between the two.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have several Sig Romeo 5s and have never had a problem, with fast acquiring the dots, through them. Only thing of note is that I set them up for lower 1/3rd co witness, so they're mostly inline with the sight picture anyway.

Latest posts

Top Bottom