Smart Guy Challenge: for Smart Guys

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I’m waiting on delivery and then I will send it to you absolutely FREE OF CHARGE. Just pay a small shipping and handling fee to cover costs.

(Jk on s/h. Is joke. Har.)

You’ll need to PM me with your mailing address in order to receive your free prize.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was joking about the prize. I really don't need anything.
Just put an extra toy in the Toys for Tots bin at Christmas time.

Oldman62

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
man i forgot all about the quadrajet, i feel stupid, its been awhile since I messed with any metering rods, carter and edelbrock even look differant than those.:ooh2:

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep Ford in 1970 and 1971 on the 429 cobra jet would have a Quadrajet may have been some other options look that one up.

Did you know Chrysler made a 350" engine as did Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Buick and Chevy but we knew that.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep Ford in 1970 and 1971 on the 429 cobra jet would have a Quadrajet may have been some other options look that one up.

Did you know Chrysler made a 350" engine as did Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Buick and Chevy but we knew that.
I was a line mechanic (lol, which meant everything) at the Ford house in Madill in the mid-70s, and the engine-gearbox man (engines, manual trans, diffs, etc.) at the Chevy house when I left there.

There was no Chrysler dealer in Madill at that time, so we saw very few Mopars.

Don't think I ever kitted a Quadrajet, but that was my best guess since I didn't recognize the metering rods. Dunno if you saw my edit or not, but I pulled up a diagram and checked my guess before you gave the answer. ;)

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dunno if you saw my edit or not

No I did not see it.
Most people tossed the Qjet in the recycle can. I cant tell you how many I had given to me for free.
I really researched it and bought books on it and other carbs and found how to really dial them in.
One of the most tuneable carbs out there.
And NOT the most friendly to swap parts from one carb to another..many different configurations of air horn, main body and baseplate.

You can adjust the APT on them.. which changes how far the metering rod sits into the jet during part throttle.
Hence APT At Part Throttle.

Oldman62

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Had a buddy that had a 350 H.O. in i think was a 69 Firebird, it was a real dark green.
another guy had a rocket 350 in a cutlas and I owned several pontiacs but they had 389's in them. Out of all my indians I liked my 62 catalina and it had 4 doors and 389 in it, owned it in the seventies, was metallic blue with white top. when I drove it to school the kids thought it was neat old car. The older couple that owned it did not drive it much at all. They put those thick plastic clear seat covers in it. They came off the first winter I can tell you that they were some kind off cold. My Grandpa gave 600.00 for it in 1972 and I paid him back by cleaning oilfield pumping units magneto parts for him to repair back in the day. Thanks for the memory bring backs. I have not thought about those days in a very long time.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can adjust the APT on them.. which changes how far the metering rod sits into the jet during part throttle.
Hence APT At Part Throttle.
Ford's Variable Venturi (not one of my favorites) was adjustable like that. I kitted one in an LTD for a customer after I opened my shop. I set the jets lean, then drove it and kept opening them up gradually until it wouldn't stall when you hammered it.

He was a happy camper. Told me later that it got much better gas mileage than when he'd bought it new. :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom