Smart phone batt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
New experience, replacing batteries in Samsung S7 smart phones. We have 3 Galaxy S7 smart phones that are about the same age. One of them started rebooting by itself and a Google search said it could be a bad battery. At the same time I noticed my phone needed charging only after about 9 hours.

Decided what the heck, Amazon, under $20.00 had a new battery the next day. Following a YouTube video attacked the one that was rebooting, only use it for Craigslist so no big deal of I screw it up. Pried the back off, removed a bunch of itty bitty screws, pried the battery out and installed the new one.

Lessons learned. The screw drivers that come with the battery are junk, use a good jewelers Phillips screwdriver. A pair of tweezers and something to put the screws in helps. Plug the battery connector in before installing the battery in the phone. Once the battery is in it is really difficult to get that little connector lined up so it will plug in. Watch a couple YouTube videos for your particular phone.

Did the battery in my phone this morning, 2nd one took less than half the time it took for the first one, wife's phone is next. Not sure what the phone repair places charge but this is really not that difficult and replacement batteries are cheap.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For future reference, do yourself a favor and check with iFixIt the next time you need to do electronics repairs. They have some outstanding repair guides, and they’ll sell you quality parts and tools to do the job. I have a couple of their tool kits, and they are first rate.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I tried this once about 5 years ago on an Android phone and it did not go well. I thought the phone was going to burst into flames it got so hot once I turned it on, and then it wouldnt turn off using the buttons so while it was getting scorching hot I had to disassemble it to remove the battery. Fun times!

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I buy a new/refurbished phone about every 3 years when the battery life gets poor. $250 - $300 and a refurb has had anything fixed and every other component looked at. Better than factory.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got my Iphone 5 battery replaced for $40.00.
IIRC, it was $49 to replace the battery in my dad's iPhone 6 Plus. It varies by model, but Apple does underwrite the cost of replacing the batteries in a lot of iPhone models to the point that it's usually not worth the hassle of doing it yourself. It's inexpensive and very low effort, and they'll schedule it for you even at other repair facilities (my dad's was done at Best Buy).

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
New experience, replacing batteries in Samsung S7 smart phones. We have 3 Galaxy S7 smart phones that are about the same age. One of them started rebooting by itself and a Google search said it could be a bad battery. At the same time I noticed my phone needed charging only after about 9 hours.

Decided what the heck, Amazon, under $20.00 had a new battery the next day. Following a YouTube video attacked the one that was rebooting, only use it for Craigslist so no big deal of I screw it up. Pried the back off, removed a bunch of itty bitty screws, pried the battery out and installed the new one.

Lessons learned. The screw drivers that come with the battery are junk, use a good jewelers Phillips screwdriver. A pair of tweezers and something to put the screws in helps. Plug the battery connector in before installing the battery in the phone. Once the battery is in it is really difficult to get that little connector lined up so it will plug in. Watch a couple YouTube videos for your particular phone.

Did the battery in my phone this morning, 2nd one took less than half the time it took for the first one, wife's phone is next. Not sure what the phone repair places charge but this is really not that difficult and replacement batteries are cheap.
I had an iPhone 5 and got really good at changing the battery in it. I probably did it at least five times if not more. I also replaced the screen a lot because I kept on breaking it. My experience with the aftermarket batteries is that they are nowhere near as good as the OEM factory batteries. I could never find a true authentic Apple battery. The things that I got off eBay or Amazon never really lasted that long.

I was going to have my battery replaced on my iPhone 8 at Best Buy but the store clerk said she wanted my passwords and I was like no you don’t. It was going to be about 50 bucks but I’m not about to give anybody the password on my phone.

I’ve been thinking about tackling the battery on it but unless I can find an authentic Apple battery I’ll probably just keep on procrastinating

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't know about Samsung but they charge about $100 on an iPhone.
Don’t bet the farm on this, but think I read on the net that there is federal legislation that allows repair shops to do battery and other repairs not previously allowed by apple.
it may be future legislation. Not sure, but people are looking at this issue.

Latest posts

Top Bottom