Smith and Wesson Governor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Did a quick search on the forum and only found ones in the past that were for sale, don’t recall seeing any discussion threads.

Who owns one? Do you like it? Worth having one for being able to shoot 3 different calibers?

And also since I don’t know about them, are they a lock or no lock Smith?

okie98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It has the lock. I got one when they first came out and have been very happy with it. My son lives on 100 acres and has a good snake population, so he keeps it most of the time. I was very impressed with they way it handles both .45 Colt and .45 acp in addition to 410s. I carry it with 3 of the #4, 410 and 3 rounds of 45 Colt. The 45 acp works great in moon clips. Shot the Federal 4 ball load once at the range. Impressive when you fire 6 shots and have 24 holes in the torso at 10 yards. I would buy it again.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
It has the lock. I got one when they first came out and have been very happy with it. My son lives on 100 acres and has a good snake population, so he keeps it most of the time. I was very impressed with they way it handles both .45 Colt and .45 acp in addition to 410s. I carry it with 3 of the #4, 410 and 3 rounds of 45 Colt. The 45 acp works great in moon clips. Shot the Federal 4 ball load once at the range. Impressive when you fire 6 shots and have 24 holes in the torso at 10 yards. I would buy it again.

I might start to be on the lookout for one. Might make a good nightstand gun and one to carry around the ranch.

Are they a special kind of frame or can you get grips for them just like the k frame or j frame?

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Friend has one; it is a great snake gun from a tractor. Having shot it at the range, IMHO as a personal carry gun, meh: heavy and only 6 shots. The "shotgun" loads are short range and spread quickly.

OneShotKill

Marksman
Reaction score
I have had one about 3 years. Huge gun but only weights 29 ounces. You can actually stick it in your hip pocket for a short trip. Lots of holsters for them, I got a name brand leather about $70, not cheap, but the last I will ever need for it. The Federal 4 ball load is the best of the bunch, 280 grains at about 800-850 fps. At 50 feet all 24 balls hit inside a 14 inch circle.

The Hornady 45 Colt work great. I carry 45 acp Plus P in it, very fast reloads with the moon clips, I carry 3 in my left pocket as backup. I collect Smith and Wesson revolvers and this action is a good as any. If I could only take one gun into heavy snake country this would be it. Also, when walking out of a deer hunt in the dark, the buckshot is pretty comforting. Probably as good as an anti car jacking gun as there is. I am retired military and law enforcement and certified by OSBI and the NRA as a CCW instructor since 1996. Carried lots of guns, this one is a little strange, I love it.

Got mine at Buds Gun shop under the police and military program. Cost then was about $650.00.

Latest posts

Top Bottom