Smith and Wesson model 59 woes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

65ny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looking for information or recommendations for a reliable gunsmith that could/would work on a Smith model 59 that no longer works in double action. When you pull the trigger, you can feel it try to catch and cock the hammer but it doesn't.
You can still cock it and use it like a single action, but whatever cocks it in DA isn't working.
Has anyone had a similar problem? I know these aren't worth a lot, but I'm fond of the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gen Smith semiautos, and this one deserves to be fixed.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
the 59's are coming along in value. i had a service gun that had spent many hours in a holster.took the whole thing apart and duracoated it FDE. its a fairly complicated gun,but tear into and determine the issue. order your parts from numrich. you'll learn your gun and figure out what makes it tick.

65ny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good idea. I ordered an exploded view diagram.
I also checked out Cutting Edge's website....there's some pretty sweet stuff there.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i posted a detailed tutorial on a full tear down and assembly of s&w revolver awhile back .. it's stickied again

Last edited: