smith pinned barrel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The recessed cylinders are a PIB to clean under. In theory, recessed cylinders are safer in the event an old balloon-head case blows out upon ignition. These days it would be rare to shoot a balloon-head cartridge. Sorta like finding .357 Mag cases with large primers; obsolete.

shortgrass

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
There is also the theory that the pinned barrels are more accurate. The theory goes that the non-pinned are constricted slightly where it screws into the frame due to the tight fit and opening up to normal size out past the frame.

I don't know if I buy that theory but it's out there. I suppose anything is possible.

I have gaged many S&W Revolvers and the tight bore isn't limited to just the non-pinned guns. I own a 29-2 that I need to set the barrel back on because it's tight at the frame, it is pinned and recessed. Just a good excuse to narrow down the cylinder gap, cut a custom forcing cone, and make sure the lock is perfect at the front. The constriction comes from the amount of torque applied when installing the barrel, the front sight needs to be at 12:00 not at 11:00 Sometimes more torque has to be applied to get thet front sight to 12:00. Only the custom shop guns are assembled one at a time, where the barrel shoulder can be adjusted so this doesn't occur. Hand fitting solves alot of potential problems and raises the price accordingly.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have gaged many S&W Revolvers and the tight bore isn't limited to just the non-pinned guns. I own a 29-2 that I need to set the barrel back on because it's tight at the frame, it is pinned and recessed. Just a good excuse to narrow down the cylinder gap, cut a custom forcing cone, and make sure the lock is perfect at the front. The constriction comes from the amount of torque applied when installing the barrel, the front sight needs to be at 12:00 not at 11:00 Sometimes more torque has to be applied to get thet front sight to 12:00. Only the custom shop guns are assembled one at a time, where the barrel shoulder can be adjusted so this doesn't occur. Hand fitting solves alot of potential problems and raises the price accordingly.

TADA!!!! What he said!!!! There was a time when S&W's were all hand fitted i.e. Registered Magnums/Pre-Model 27, and others.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
i've heard the pinned guns are a little bit stronger than the non pinned versions

The purpose behind the pin is to keep the barrel from coming loose during firing. S&W dropped this step in the production(save money) and went with the "crush press/torque" step for securing the barrels.

As to the recess charge holes, everyone says it was due to keeping ballonhead cases from coming apart during firing, well none of the magnum cases were ever ballonhead, only their smaller twins i.e. .38spl, an .44spl. This was for those folks (read Elmer Keith & The .44 Associates) who still were hotroding the .44spl caseings they had on hand. Funny cause S&W never thought to recess the charge holes on the non magnum calibers that most folks were using early in the 20th century, and alot of that ammo was loaded in the old ballonhead caseings i.e. .38spl, .44spl, .45LC, .32-20, and many others. Granted ballonhead brass wasn't as strong as solid head brass, and there wasn't as many guns blowing up as some would have you think. Its also rare to find any ballonhead cases anymore, most that remain are in peoples ammunition collections. Yes folks do collect ammo, I have my own, from a small Kolibri round, up to 40MM(Demilled trainer).

Now the other issue is on the .22lr revolvers. Since this is a rimfire round the charge holes on all of S&W's revolvers are recessed for safety reasons, since on some of their revolvers the recoil shield does not completely cover the cartridge rim from being struck if the gun is dropped or the shooter slips and falls while the gun is holstered striking something hard. Also since the rimfire is technically a ballonhead case with the priming compound in the balloned rim, there have been cases where the rim would fail, keeping it recessed inside the cylinder would keep the cases rim from becoming a small handgrenade. It does happen, I have a friend from high school who's .22lr singleshot rifle had a case fail, he wasn't hurt bad, but does still have a couple of scars on his hand from shrapnel from the brass.

Latest posts

Top Bottom