Smith & Wesson Top Break Russian 44 1880? need Gunsmith

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
From my understanding if it is .44 Russian the cylinder bore will have a distinct step in it. If it is .44 American it will have a straight bore.
unnamed.jpg

BlindOne

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That’s not a Schofield, and I don’t believe it’s a Russian. OP, is it a double action? You might try over on the SASS forum for leads regarding a gunsmith who knows those top breaks.
It’s double action Only, it has a ledge that could be for single action but when you pull hammer back to the ledge it Doesn’t stay. I think it’s a S&W double action first model. The Ammo I have for it is Russian 44 and it fits it. I was told it is Russian 44 by the guy I bought the side plate and hammer stud from and those parts were for S&W first model. They fit without any fitting modifications.

BlindOne

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I always thought the term Schofield was referring to the type of revolver, not the chambering. So, I'm guessing the Schofield is not chamberd in .44 Russian? :anyone:
I’m not sure myself. I just say Russian 44 because that’s what it’s supposed to be chambered for. I thought Schofield was another brand of manufacturer.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I always thought the term Schofield was referring to the type of revolver, not the chambering. So, I'm guessing the Schofield is not chamberd in .44 Russian? :anyone:
The Skofield is the Schofield like a Smith and Wesson is a Smith and Wesson. The Schofield had its own unique 45 cartridge that the army ended up dropping. I forget which one was which but it’s kind of like a 38 in 357. Basically one of the cartridges was a tad longer. So one cartridge could be used in both but the other cartridge couldn’t.

Latest posts

Top Bottom