Smoke damage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe USAA covers a storage unit but it’s been awhile since I had a unit. When we were buying/selling a few years ago it was one of the first questions I asked them.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you strike on insurance, could you vacuum the ash and then get an ozone machine for the unit? Confined unoccupied space like that I'd think ozone would work well.
Eh, I’m moving storage units this month anyways. We had some of the best prices in the city, and the owner sold out to some nationwide company. They raised our rates 60%+ overnight with no warning. I’ve just been too busy to move.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Eh, I’m moving storage units this month anyways. We had some of the best prices in the city, and the owner sold out to some nationwide company. They raised our rates 60%+ overnight with no warning. I’ve just been too busy to move.
Yeah, I was just thinking in terms of deodorizing your stuff. I'm no expert, but I think you'd benefit from having it all in a confined space like that. Unless you have stuff that doesn't like ozone.

The prices of storage is crazy to me. Compare the prices per square foot for a metal building, un-conditioned, concrete floor vs nice office space. I understand why there are so many around.

Good luck.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, I was just thinking in terms of deodorizing your stuff. I'm no expert, but I think you'd benefit from having it all in a confined space like that. Unless you have stuff that doesn't like ozone.

The prices of storage is crazy to me. Compare the prices per square foot for a metal building, un-conditioned, concrete floor vs nice office space. I understand why there are so many around.

Good luck.
I agree. I did the math too, if we had the space and were staying in our place at least 10 years a pole barn would more than pay for itself. But we don’t have space and want to buy land in the next 2-4 years. Luckily, I have talked the wife into a big shop with a 2 bed apartment built in for our first residence on the future property.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Home owner insurance MIGHT cover it.
Boat insurance, I would call agent for an adjuster,depending on what deductible is. Your insurance will go up with a claim.

Smoke is acidic and effect electronics.
Vacuum ash, wash / wipe down whatever you can. Woolite is good for mattress and fabric. Febreeze for odor.
ArmorAll boat vinyl and plastic. About the best you can do.

Lucky there is no fire / heat damage.

cmc tom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As an owner of boat storage units, it is the tenants responsibility to insure their personal property. My insurance does not cover any personal property stored inside the units. I know that isn’t the answer that you were hoping for, but more than likely you won’t be able to file any insurance claim. Like stated above, the only chance for an insurance claim is through your homeowners insurance, but it isn’t likely that it will work.
If you have a mortgage, you should have homeowners insurance. Your items are covered by your personal contents coverage, no matter where your contents are stored. I have state farm and was reimbursed for hurricane Ian damage this way.

Latest posts

Top Bottom