Smokeless muzzleloader

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
Welcome Scott! I had purchased a 700ML to do a conversion on and then a Savage showed up on here. I sold the 700 but have yet to get the Savage out. Are the REM loads really in the 75-80 grain range? Savage recommends 44 grains of 5744 as a starting point. Most of not all of my ML shots are within a 100 yards but I’m thinking like a traditionalist. I’ve had opportunities to go deeper but didn’t have the gun to do it.
Most of us building them are using tradidtional rifle actions with locking lugs on the bolts. I think that's where the primary confusion about charges differences comes in.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Welcome Scott! I had purchased a 700ML to do a conversion on and then a Savage showed up on here. I sold the 700 but have yet to get the Savage out. Are the REM loads really in the 75-80 grain range? Savage recommends 44 grains of 5744 as a starting point. Most of not all of my ML shots are within a 100 yards but I’m thinking like a traditionalist. I’ve had opportunities to go deeper but didn’t have the gun to do it.
What is burn rate of 5744 compared to 4198. I think that is going to a big part of the difference of powder charge.

I safely shoot upper 60s (not sharing exact) grains of H4198 in my Savage SML.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Here are the two on a burn chart
1F058605-A173-4730-9724-86B3AE3AA1E2.png

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
That’s fastest to slowest so 4198 is slightly slower. I’ll try some proven loads with each and see how it does. I have a bunch of powders in and around that burn rate for reduced rifle loads.

Scott Ames

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Muzzle brake or no? Amazing group!
Big ++++ on the muzzle brake.It doesn't kick too bad at 73 grains (2730 FPS) of IMR 4198. Kind of feels like a 375 H&H when you get up to 76 grains (2800 FPS) however. I have been told it will shoot less than 1.5 inch 300 yard group! Haven't shot it that far yet. It shoots less than 1 inch at 200 yards easily.

Last edited:

Scott Ames

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Most of us building them are using tradidtional rifle actions with locking lugs on the bolts. I think that's where the primary confusion about charges differences comes in.
Mine is definitely a Remington Magnum action that started life as 7mm Rem Mag. Lapped lugs and custom receiver threads on a large tenon Bartlein barrel. Triggertech Diamond trigging in a McMillam A3 stock. Nightforce SVR 5-20X 56mm objective
My gunsmith says some customers are using Benchmark power and loading up to 2900 FPS. They must have a much better muzzle brake that I do.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
2500-2700fps is hauling for a 300gr. I can't remember how many pounds of powder I went thru when I first got my Savage, several. Lots different powders, bullets, bullet weights, sabots, sub bases. Lil Gun shotgun powder was my favorite but was looked down upon.
LILgun is running in my 357, 450 bushmaster and my sons 300 Black... ThAT stuff is great!!

Okvet03

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been running 56 gr of IMR 4198 under a saboted .40 200 gr SST. It's a pacnor barrel on a Remington muzzeloader action. Accuracy is outstanding. I don't think a deer has gone more than 30 yards. Most were DRT. I'm not sure I could shoot those hot loads as well as you guys. Looks like some of them could soften a shoulder up. Nice shooting!

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
That’s fastest to slowest so 4198 is slightly slower. I’ll try some proven loads with each and see how it does. I have a bunch of powders in and around that burn rate for reduced rifle loads.
Do not mistake those burn rate charts. They are fastest to slowest, but there may be huge jumps in burn rates between two listed next to each other. Be very careful substituting powders. I'd suggest using only tested loads, even then starting out 10 percent lower and working up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom