Snake shot and revolvers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
So what’s the scoop? I have snake shot for my 357mag and there’s nothing that says I shouldn’t use it, but I was hoping to use some 40S&W snake shot in my N frame Smith and Wesson 610. But on CCIs website it says “DO NOT USE IN REVOLVERS-cylinder lock-up may occur”. On the box it says to not use it in lightweight revolvers. Has anyone encountered this problem? I typically like to carry one or two rounds of snake shot as my first shots in the revolver when out hunting.

https://www.cci-ammunition.com/handgun/cci/pest_control_shotshell/6-3740.html

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I’ve shot 38 special in a lightweight snub with no issues as well as 9mm in a small semi auto. It won’t cycle past the first shot in the semi as is to be expected. I guess their warning is if it jumps the crimp and hangs up the revolver. I’ve shot probably 10-20 rounds without issue in my S&W 340 snub.
So what’s the scoop? I have snake shot for my 357mag and there’s nothing that says I shouldn’t use it, but I was hoping to use some 40S&W snake shot in my N frame Smith and Wesson 610. But on CCIs website it says “DO NOT USE IN REVOLVERS-cylinder lock-up may occur”. On the box it says to not use it in lightweight revolvers. Has anyone encountered this problem? I typically like to carry one or two rounds of snake shot as my first shots in the revolver when out hunting.

https://www.cci-ammunition.com/handgun/cci/pest_control_shotshell/6-3740.html

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Been lucky but haves not shot that many. Do carry some in my old 22 when going in snakey areas, never shot a snake.
I shoot wood bees hovering around the barn. You may not be familiar with them, but they burrow into the eves of buildings to create nests. Very territorial so the males protect the nest by hovering while waiting on another wood bee coming into their territory to chase them off. Pretty easy redneck trap shooting from a semi auto pistol. One does have to manually cycle the action though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom