Snake shot and revolvers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had rat shot in .38Spl, 9mm, and .45ACP. I don't recall the 9mm off the top of my head, but "cap" on the .45ACP was very different from the .38--the .38 end cap looked like a translucent wadcutter full of shot, but the .45 looked like a necked cartridge with just a slightly domed plastic disc over the end. The cartridge didn't exceed the OAL, but the case was necked down and extended into the space where the bullet would normally be. I'd guess that plastic disc could have problems jumping the gap from the cylinder into the forcing cone, something that wouldn't be an issue in a semi-auto.
Yeah, I know what they look like and I dont know if those have the same problem.

Im sure its possible for that plug to get stuck too

jeromebill7718

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So what’s the scoop? I have snake shot for my 357mag and there’s nothing that says I shouldn’t use it, but I was hoping to use some 40S&W snake shot in my N frame Smith and Wesson 610. But on CCIs website it says “DO NOT USE IN REVOLVERS-cylinder lock-up may occur”. On the box it says to not use it in lightweight revolvers. Has anyone encountered this problem? I typically like to carry one or two rounds of snake shot as my first shots in the revolver when out hunting.

https://www.cci-ammunition.com/handgun/cci/pest_control_shotshell/6-3740.htm
[QUOTE="HoLeChit, post: 3690861, member: 35036"] Buy a Judge [/QUOTE]

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Then I dont know what youre getting at with mistimed cylinder
Plastic from the shot capsul jamming a revolver up, maybe because of a mis timed cylinder.

I have a 29 classic that had something up with it that it would shave a sliver off the jacket.

A friend was standing behind me and off to the side one day while I shot that thing and had some copper stuck in his forehead after a shot!

Mentioned it to the dealer who sent it back to smith for me, and no more problem with shaved jackets!

Last edited:

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To the OP. the reason not to shoot 40's in a revolver is there looks to be No plastic container for the shot.
Just a crimped end.

Latest posts

Top Bottom