Snakes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How come you guys never post any pics of the venomous snakes while they're alive? They all seem to be very mangled and very dead ;)

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All you manly men who claim to hate snakes phrased your comment incorrectly, It should have read I'm afraid of snakes and scream like a girl when I see one.. Fear of an animal that weighs 1- 16 ounces, lol.. But don't fret your with the vast majority of humans who fear what they don't understand.. Dennis that said black snake is a rat snake, here in OK the rat snakes intergrade with the Texas rat snake and the black rat snake.. Being a rat snake it is highly unlikey it eats snakes, but both the speckled king and praire king we have in these parts do, along with the racers and coach whips..

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All you manly men who claim to hate snakes phrased your comment incorrectly, It should have read I'm afraid of snakes and scream like a girl when I see one.. Fear of an animal that weighs 1- 16 ounces, lol.. But don't fret your with the vast majority of humans who fear what they don't understand.. Dennis that said black snake is a rat snake, here in OK the rat snakes intergrade with the Texas rat snake and the black rat snake.. Being a rat snake it is highly unlikey it eats snakes, but both the speckled king and praire king we have in these parts do, along with the racers and coach whips..
So your saying what I'm calling a black snake is not a black snake?
Looks just like this one eating a rattler. I'm 100 percent in favor of gaining some education if it's not.

We have a lot of these around here too. They use the barbed wire fences to travel. Amazing to watch them.

Copperhead on the patio:

In the yard

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a very healthy respect for all snakes whether a few ounces or a few pounds. If you don't, something is missing.
Watched a special on Nat Geo today that talked about Sri Lanka losing over a thousand people a year to snake bites while it's almost non-existent in the US.
Its improving as they are starting to build their antivenom supplies. $30 per dose.
In the US, it's terribly expensive, and all of it comes from a place in Great Britain. Another company came in and tried to compete, but got sued and is not in business anymore.

Every so often, a news story will circulate about a snakebite victim getting another shock: a hospital bill charging them tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars. But while antivenom isn’t exactly cheap and easy to make, the price tag that comes along with these life-saving doses has raised eyebrows among even the researchers who make the stuff.
Getting bitten by a snake isn’t that uncommon – according to the Centers for Disease Control, about 7,000 to 8,000 people are treated for snakebite every year in the United States alone. Doctors Without Borders also reports that as many as 100,000 people around the world die from snakebite every year. But even Leslie Boyer, founding director of the University of Arizona’s VIPER Institute, was shocked that hospitals can pay up to $2,300 for a single vial of antivenom, Christopher Ingraham writes for The Washington Post.

The process of making antivenom is complicated. In order to make some of the most common rattlesnake antivenin, sheep have to be injected with the snake’s venom and then have their antibodies harvested by doctors. But after reading another of Ingraham’s articles from earlier this summer that analyzed the high cost of antivenom treatment, Boyer realized she didn’t know why the antivenin made in her own labs was so prohibitively expensive.

“Physicians are counseled to steer clear of involvement in the pricing of the drugs we study, for good reason: financial conflict of interest by care providers imperils our ability to provide objective patient care,” Boyer wrote in an article that will be published in an upcoming issue of The American Journal of Medicine. “We were crestfallen to discover...that the chosen wholesale price for this otherwise excellent drug was set too high to be cost effective, even in the treatment of critically ill children...Somehow, a US drug whose sister product retailed in Mexico at $100 was resulting in bills to Arizona patients of between $7,900 and $39,652 per vial.”

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/why-single-vial-antivenom-can-cost-14000-180956564/

Read more: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...can-cost-14000-180956564/#3h9F8P6Ahk7iI2jh.99
Give the gift of Smithsonian magazine for only $12! http://bit.ly/1cGUiGv
Follow us: @SmithsonianMag on Twitter

Latest posts

Top Bottom