Snap Replacement

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have an old USAF surplus drop pouch for 38 special rounds, The snap closures won't close even with pliers, so I'm looking for someone who can replace the snaps.

1653604354074.png

Can anyone help me out here?

Thanks in advance.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lowe's use to sell kits that came with snaps and the tools to put them in all you needed was a hammer. I had a set many years ago but dont know where it got off to. Some hardware stores carries them to. OHHH you will need a drill and drill bit to remove the old ones.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some snaps are directional and need to be snapped together at a specific angle. Easy to snap in one direction and near impossible from another. There’s a little wire inside that needs to be aligned.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I thought this was a good description of how thr snaps possibly function.

Per Milt Sparks website: “
We use one-way or directional snaps on most of our belt attachments to keep the loop from being inadvertently opened.

If you look inside the socket portion of the snap you will see a small tab of metal that traps the copper split ring inside. This tab is the locking mechanism of the one-way snap. When the snap is closed, the tab in the socket will not allow the post of the snap to lever itself through the split ring at the point of the tab. The one-way snap can only be disengaged by outside pressure on the side of the snap opposite the side where the above-mentioned tab is located.

To work the snap, the side of the socket with the tab, must be engaged onto the post, first by angling the socket at that point to engage it. To complete the closure, you roll the socket over the post until it clicks shut. The tab on the socket will always be located on the side of the snap where the belt will encounter it. All our IWB holster loops are snapped towards the top of the holster, so you will roll the snap from the bottom up. On a holster like the Axiom where you pull the straps down to snap them, you will roll the one-way snap from the top down. Any confusion on this can be resolved by looking in the socket to see where the tab is located. That side of the snap always gets engaged onto the post first.

A quick tug on the inside of the loop will verify if the snap is engaged properly. If it pops open, it’s a good indicator that the snaps are not properly engaged. If this happens to you, please read the above description again to verify the snaps are being engaged properly. If the snaps are still failing to stay shut, please call the shop for guidance.

A light application of a wax or oil on the top rim of the post will make the snap much easier to open and close when new. “

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can also get snap kits at Walmart.

Those old pouches usually have "Pull the Dot" snaps. You open from one direction and have to close from the other direction. Think of a rocking motion. There may be a dot on the outer snap.

Latest posts

Top Bottom