Snipe season is over Feb 15

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FRISKY

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We had many excellent snipe hunting adventures while in the Boy Scouts of America. In the early 1960s there were several areas around Lake Thunderbird that were good for snipe hunting. Those little birds were quick, but made a good meal if you could catch enough of them.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm going to try and make it this year, the unfortunate thing is that my wife isn't fond of snipe.

So when I shoot a few of them I always use a traditional, family, German recipe...which I think is good!!!

Hasenpfeffer
Ingredients
Servings
  • 1 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 1 cup red wine
  • 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
  • 4 scallions, halved lengthwise
  • 4 garlic cloves, halved lengthwise
  • 3 dashes of Tabasco
  • 3 bay leaves
  • 2 sprigs rosemary
  • 1 sprig flat-leaf parsley
  • 1 sprig thyme
  • 1 tablespoon kosher salt
  • 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon whole juniper berries
  • 1 3-pound snipe, cut into 8 pieces
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • All-purpose flour (for dredging)
  • Boiled potatoes or cooked noodles

Preparation

Bring first 14 ingredients to a boil in a medium pot; turn off heat and let marinade cool. Place snipe pieces in a glass jar or baking dish; pour marinade over. Cover and chill for 48 hours.

Remove snipe from marinade; strain marinade through a fine-mesh sieve and set aside; discard solids in sieve.

Heat oil and butter in a large heavy pot. Place some flour in a shallow bowl and dredge snipe in flour, shaking off excess. Working in batches if needed, cook snipe, turning once, until golden brown, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer snipe to a plate and discard drippings from pot. Pour reserved marinade into pot and bring to a simmer. Add snipe pieces, cover, and simmer gently until snipe is tender, 1 ½–2 hours. Serve with boiled potatoes or noodles.

4.bp.blogspot.com__gDjCEneJVXw_U0ToOKJrC1I_AAAAAAAACWo_XYScVlXmsfk_s1600_hasenpfeffer.jpg

Uncle TK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
navigation, search
For other uses, see Snipe (disambiguation).
Snipe

Pin-tailed snipe (Gallinago stenura)
Scientific classification
Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Chordata
Class: Aves
Order: Charadriiformes
Family: Scolopacidae
Genera
A snipe is any of about 25 wading bird species in three genera in the family Scolopacidae. They are characterized by a very long, slender bill and crypsis, or camouflage, plumage. The Gallinago snipes have a nearly worldwide distribution, the Lymnocryptes snipe is restricted to Asia and Europe and the Coenocorypha snipes are found only in the Outlying Islands of New Zealand. The three species of painted snipe are not closely related to the typical snipes, and are placed in their own family, the Rostratulidae.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, I have to confess........
I started this thread after watching Outdoor Oklahoma on TV and they reported the snipe season was over 2/15.
My first thoughts were who in the heck hunts snipes, much less railes and gallinules?
Boy was I surprised when some honest posts came back. I thought it would take the OSA turn and talk about cow pasture hunts with gunny sacks on cattle trails.
Congrats guys! I'm always impressed with you.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I understood what you were getting at Dennis.

I remember well the first snipe hunt my uncles took me on when I was young. ;)
You and me both. My uncle let my cub scout pack and my sisters girl scouts camp on his ground. His greatest pleasure was taking newbs on snipe hunts at night. After our first, we were knowing co-conspirators. lol

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Ok, I have to confess........
I started this thread after watching Outdoor Oklahoma on TV and they reported the snipe season was over 2/15.
My first thoughts were who in the heck hunts snipes, much less railes and gallinules?
Boy was I surprised when some honest posts came back. I thought it would take the OSA turn and talk about cow pasture hunts with gunny sacks on cattle trails.
Congrats guys! I'm always impressed with you.
That is the only kind of snipe hunts I have been involved in.

Latest posts

Top Bottom