Snorkeling Gear: Need to Rent or Borrow a Set ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Absster

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
My husband and I are talking about going to Hawaii this summer for our 20th anniversary. Pretty sure, if we finalize plans, we are going to Maui because I like the idea of being able to see the other 2 islands by ferry. Last time we went snorkeling, we snorkeled with the stingray in the Bahamas but there wasnt much else to look at. It does look like there are good places there to go in Hawaii and be able to see some expansive coral. Hopefully a different/better experience than our last. My husband use to dive when he lived in Alaska but that is some years back. I have nightmares about that sort of thing.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My husband use to dive when he lived in Alaska but that is some years back. I have nightmares about that sort of thing.
Lol, the thought of diving in Alaskan waters would give me nightmares too... :D

We are getting ready to go to Hawaii on February 2nd and she has never been snorkeling. I want to take her to an indoor pool for a couple lessons in the next few days or so, and if she is okay with it, I'll take her snorkeling there.
Hope y'all have a good trip, Marine. :drunk2:

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like it will be a fun trip.
I have old fins that are brittle and cracked and same thing with the diving goggles seems after a few years i need to toss them because the seal goes bad.. but I never had an expensive set. You know me.

One thing i found when diving at Tenkiller or other lakes or rivers is the longer you stay in the water the longer you acclimate to holding your breath.

I do not know if that sounds right or not.
If I go to Tenkiller and submerge into water I can only stay down a short time before needing fresh air.
After about an hour of that my body acclimates or something and i can stay down much longer before needing to come up for air.

I say that because when you first get her in the water and she wants fresh air in 10 seconds tell her she will slowly get relaxed and better.

We were at the cliffs when it was legal to dive off of them at Tenkiller state park and there were 3 of treading water in an area that went into a V we made a game of diving down and come back up with some rock or mud in your hand.
Each time we got would complete the task we would move out deeper.

It got scary deep where your chest is pounding in and out wanting to take a breath but the surface is not in sight. you can see the light from the sun and I thought man I am close so i let all my air out as my chest was burning.

When I exhaled under water if cooled my chest and felt much better but i still had not surfaced i thought another couple feet.. It was about 10-12 feet to the surface.

No fins no mask just swim trunks and a hand full of mud.
Boats could come in there also as it was not roped off and we had one come to the spot where we were diving.
He said his depth finder said 45 feet where we called it quits.

We were drinking Mickey Big Mouths and Little Kings and whisky.
Fun times.
Here is a little note 45 feet is a long ways with NO flippers.

I would also dive off the barrels at Gore that are below the river bridge on the Arkansas river.
Tread water there and go down and come up with mud it was 22-24 feet most of the time and that was a cake walk.

Summer time fun when you need to cool off from all the fishing :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom