So Glad I Live in Oklahoma

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I lived in Longmont, CO for a few years, and soon learned what I had left behind. Living right next to the Rocky Mountains is nice, but after a couple of months, you really didn't even notice they were there. People make a place worth living there, and OK has them in spades.

golddigger14s

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've lived all over the country (Army) and different countries. Between my retirement pay and what I make now with the very low cost of living makes OK great. Very vet friendly state. I have three acres and can shoot on my property. The only thing I don't like here................Chiggers! Went to Basic at Fort Sill (1990), never thought I would come back. Now a civilian instructor at Fort Sill.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
That's the kind of interaction I see 99% of the time, cordial human interaction.

We don't vacation in "liberal" states, and we find those same experiences across the country. Unless things change drastically I'll never see the redwoods, tour Alcatraz, view the falls at Yosemite, see the Statue of Liberty, walk thru the Smithsonian, tour Ford Motor Company Museum or do the entire Rubicon Trail. There are plenty of other worthy places to spend our money and time.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We don't vacation in "liberal" states, and we find those same experiences across the country. Unless things change drastically I'll never see the redwoods, tour Alcatraz, view the falls at Yosemite, see the Statue of Liberty, walk thru the Smithsonian, tour Ford Motor Company Museum or do the entire Rubicon Trail. There are plenty of other worthy places to spend our money and time.

You can still see some of those things and be around good people. Well, at least the Redwoods. Northern California has the Jedediah Smith Redwood State Park that has Highway 199 go right through it. (It is east of Crescent City, CA and not very far from the Oregon/California border.)

https://www.google.com/maps/place/C...375e62e!8m2!3d41.7557501!4d-124.2025913?hl=en

We spent 17 months in SW Oregon and toured along that way and up the coastline in Oregon. Beautiful country and friendly folks. All the photos of Redwoods at my Smugmug site were taken in parts of the Jedediah Smith Redwood State Park.

xring33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Follow up on my earlier post. We have a regional hospital here. Getting into a doctors appointment can usually be on the same day. Restaurants may be few but, most all are good and reasonably priced. Entertainment is limited but it gives you a reason to travel to other areas. Besides, at my age it doesn’t take much to entertain me. And for me we have a great public shooting range only 10 miles from my home.
IMG_0653.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've lived all over the country (Army) and different countries. Between my retirement pay and what I make now with the very low cost of living makes OK great. Very vet friendly state. I have three acres and can shoot on my property. The only thing I don't like here................Chiggers! Went to Basic at Fort Sill (1990), never thought I would come back. Now a civilian instructor at Fort Sill.

I remember the bar of Fort Sill's officers' club had a sign: "He who enters covered here will buy the house a round of cheer." Whenever an absentminded fellow wandered in wearing a hat the bartender rang a bell, cheering patrons ordered a drink and the offender reached for his wallet. Thank goodness I never forgot to uncover.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hate weekends now. Too many danged working folks in my stores and play areas. :laugh6:
I try to go shopping first thing on Saturday morning, when all the youngsters ain't thought about getting up yet.
They're stocking the shelves in the grocery store but it's a helluva lot more peaceful, IMO.

YetiSam

spaghetti pistols
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We moved here 2012-13 and then moved to Alaska when an opportunity opened up. Alaska really started going south a couple years ago with Anchorage turning into Seattle North in a bad way. I grew up on a tobacco farm in KY, so the small town life in OK really suited me as an option when we started looking for new places to go.

We happily moved back to OK a bit over a year ago now. The people are great generally and I can't think of a much better state to raise my kids. It's a little too hot for me part of the year, but you can't have everything.

Latest posts

Top Bottom