So I ate crow...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NomDeBoom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I once cooked a leg quarter of poor Guinea Hen that was just hit by a car- It was pretty damn tough, & very dark meat.
I also once did a search to see if anyone (with a computer, at least) ever ate Coyote. Apparently, the
verdict is: "It's OK. Not bad." & "It's meat".
I've also heard a supposedly true story of some 'Pheasant Hunters' returning with an ice chest full of birds crossing back into California from an out-of-State hunt. The Agent just waved them, & all those poor dead (New Mexico State Birds) AKA Road Runners through.
Maybe 'too much paperwork' would detract from the Story Value ;-)

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
I suspect we have all eaten things we don't know about! I heard one story about a deer camp cook that was fixing a chicken dinner, but realized he didn't bring enough chicken for everyone. He shot an Owl, dressed it, and mixed in the pieces, and no one knew the difference! A good joke that seem to fit this post! There was A Baptist Preacher years ago, that always went home with a member of the congrigation, for Sunday dinner. This guy was huge , and a big eater, and loved chicken above all things! The farmer wife had every kind if chicken a imagionalble on the table, and the preacher piged out! The farmer and the preacher went out to the front porch to digest when a chicken came around the house, staggering and fell over several times. It finially didn't get up, and the prdacher ask the farmer, what is wrong with that chicken? The Farmer said I don't know but they are dying faster than we can eat them!

fishincoop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I once cooked a leg quarter of poor Guinea Hen that was just hit by a car- It was pretty damn tough, & very dark meat.
I also once did a search to see if anyone (with a computer, at least) ever ate Coyote. Apparently, the
verdict is: "It's OK. Not bad." & "It's meat".
I've also heard a supposedly true story of some 'Pheasant Hunters' returning with an ice chest full of birds crossing back into California from an out-of-State hunt. The Agent just waved them, & all those poor dead (New Mexico State Birds) AKA Road Runners through.
Maybe 'too much paperwork' would detract from the Story Value ;-)
Anybody tried RoadRunner? Every one I used to see out in Tx oil fields would make me wonder if a bird that stays on ground must have a pretty mild good tasting hunk of breast meat, like chicken, turkey, etc.

NomDeBoom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anybody tried RoadRunner? Every one I used to see out in Tx oil fields would make me wonder if a bird that stays on ground must have a pretty mild good tasting hunk of breast meat, like chicken, turkey, etc.
I'd imagine that a bird that is that active, & on a high meat diet- mostly reptiles, would not only taste 'unique' to our palate, but would be tough as old oak pallet...[if I'm wrong; it's likely one of the few things I'll go to my grave not knowing ;-] Besides, Racing Chickens are protected (N M State Bird).
>>>Reminds of this Forest Ranger WAY up in the Mtns.<<<
He smells smoke, & sees a little wisp drifting out of the mouth of a small cave, high above, in a cliff.
After a rough climb, it smells more like a BBQ. He cautiously enters to find an old, bearded Hermit.
'Hey, buddy. You know there's no fires aloud in this forest?'
Hermit explains that, after living out here 57 years, he mighta forgot.
'Whatcha roasting on that spit? Looks like a big bird.'
Hermit admits that it's a Golden Eagle.
'Sir, those are an endangered species- but what does it taste like, anyway?'
Hermit strokes his beard thoughtfully, and explains that, to him-
it's like cross between Spotted Owl & Peregrine Falcon.

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
most "exotic" bird i ever ate was ostrich; great grandpa had a few along with some emus. it was actually really good.

plenty of dove, never pigeon but i bet it would be good. i've heard sandhill cranes are tasty and i think they are pretty much unregulated? never shot one cause they are such cool birds, but i have heard they are much tastier than you might think.

NomDeBoom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
most "exotic" bird i ever ate was ostrich; great grandpa had a few along with some emus. it was actually really good.

plenty of dove, never pigeon but i bet it would be good. i've heard sandhill cranes are tasty and i think they are pretty much unregulated? never shot one cause they are such cool birds, but i have heard they are much tastier than you might think.
I've eaten Ostrich; I think it was 'ground'-...but I guess ALL Ostriches are 'Ground Birds'....anyway, it was tasty, but very lean...read: 'DRY'.
Needs more BACON!
I like Dove, but it's kinda sad that they do mate for Life. (Makes eating the dark meat even...'Darker'). Like a Goth BBQ.
I've seen Sand Hill Cranes all down the Rio Grande. Reminds of a what I imagine a flock of Pterodactyls might look like. Pretty awesome.
I once had a very strange incident while out shooting, all alone, between the Manzano Mtns. & the Rio G.
Just gentle, sloping sand & sage brush for miles in any direction, & nothing at all to obscure the view. Suddenly: (& literally 'out of nowhere' ) I distinctly heard sounjds of a large, squawking flock of Cranes flying towards the North, at what sounded like about 50 yds. above my head. As the sounds gradually faded off into the distance,I 'Craned' my neck, looking all up & down the Valley & Sky... but I NEVER saw a bird!
New Mexico's the Land of Weird Stuff. Though they prefer to call it 'Enchantment'. Once Upon a Time. though...it really was.
These days; NM has Pretty much been 'Liberalized' all to Hell- but I digress.
A lot.
But I'm still inclined to think those darned Cranes are 'Magical'.
Another time: I saw a Coyote running full blast across the road, totally ignoring traffic. I then saw it was charging into a hay field full of Cranes. Ol' Coyote sailed through that barbed wire fence like an arrow! I was doin' 60, so I'll never know if the 'Arrow' hit her mark.

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I received my first Daisy BB rifle,,,
Mom was adamant that I could not shoot anything living.

The only exception was insects,,,
Grasshoppers sitting on a blade of Johnson grass were OK.

So one day I shot a sparrow and she saw me do it,,,
Next thing I know I'm receiving a lesson in how to pluck, cook, and eat sparrow.

It tasted a whole lot like week old leftover chicken thighs,,,
For those who have never eaten old chicken,,,
That means nasty and dry.

Aarond

Latest posts

Top Bottom