So I ate crow...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Crow hunting peanut fields at Ft Cobb back in the 60's. Shot a couple younger birds.
Cajun seasoning, Lea & Perrin, hickory coals, not bad. Definately on the list of survival foods
I hunted Ft Cobb in the 60's as well. You could make a barrel so hot that it would scorch the forearm with all the crows flying by to shoot. County had dumpsters set up in intersections to dump birds and hulls.
Crow Busters - The Complete Resource for Crow Hunting and the Crow Hunter has recipes to cook them.
Smart birds I hear as well. Some have them as pets.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have eaten sparrows

It was a little better than the carp.
Interestingly enough, Sparrow was on the menu at a 2 star Michelin restaurant I ate at in Italy when the company sent me there for training.
You had to order it three days minimum in advance and there was no guarantee that it would be available when you arrived as someone had to trap them.
I have zero idea how it was to be prepared and didn't order it. The fact that it could be ordered was what stuck with me. I can't imagine more than a tiny morsel of meat on that breast, but there may have been more than one bird on that order?

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wish you’d write a autobiography
download.png

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interestingly enough, Sparrow was on the menu at a 2 star Michelin restaurant I ate at in Italy when the company sent me there for training.
You had to order it three days minimum in advance and there was no guarantee that it would be available when you arrived as someone had to trap them.
I have zero idea how it was to be prepared and didn't order it. The fact that it could be ordered was what stuck with me. I can't imagine more than a tiny morsel of meat on that breast, but there may have been more than one bird on that order?
Quantity like a crawfish boil. Lol

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Only sort of off the wall bird I've eaten (at least to me) was pigeon.

Out of the field for a couple of days there was a French restaurant ran by an older French couple in Saigon that I let a cute little local gal smooth talk me into taking her to back in mid 74'.

Can't recall what my lady friend ordered but except for French fries and French toast I didn't then and still don't now know squat about French cuisine so I ask the waiter what was good and he said the pigeon and French onion soup and that's what I had.

Best I can recall it tasted good but back then I was probably about 1/2 lit on cheap scotch and hungry so more than likely I'd have probably have eaten anything that was put in front of me.

Pondering back on it later I wondered to myself if the bird had been pen raised or just shot off the dumpster out back with a BB gun........I reckon there some things in life a person just doesn't need to know. :)

pigeon.jpg

Last edited:

skyhawk1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dad had the rule "If you kill it you eat it" exception being crow. Never had it( shot a lot). Did eat a lot of robins way back. when they are cleaned it's hard to tell them from a dove. Course this was back when they weren't protected.
Have tried coon, possum, snake, eel, armadillo, etc. etc. etc.
And all the regular game animals & fish. I think the eel was the worst or maybe the dried octopus a neighbor brought back from Vietnam when he came home on leave.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Only sort of off the wall bird I've eaten (at least to me) was pigeon.

Out of the field for a couple of days there was a French restaurant ran by an older French couple in Saigon that I let a cute little local gal smooth talk me into taking her to back in mid 74'.

Can't recall what my lady friend ordered but except for French fries and French toast I didn't then and still don't now know squat about French cuisine so I ask the waiter what was good and he said the pigeon and French onion soup and that's what I had.

Best I can recall it tasted good but back then I was probably about 1/2 lit on cheap scotch and hungry so more than likely I'd have probably have eaten anything that was put in front of me.

Pondering back on it later I wondered to myself if the bird had been pen raised or just shot off the dumpster out back with a BB gun........I reckon there some things in life a person just doesn't need to know. :)

View attachment 277995
We had roasted pigeon in Hong Kong a few years ago. My wife was not impressed when it came out with its neck and head stretched across the serving plate, hahaha.

My great grandmother used to can carp. She would grab a jar out of her wellhouse, mix in some crumbled saltines and spices and form them into patties to be fried. It was delicious and something I would definitely eat again before getting hungry.

Latest posts

Top Bottom