So, I did this.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is what I'd do. Your cut is too close to severing the rib top. I'd cut off the whole vent rib fore of the sight, dress it up, then mill the front base where the sight is currently, make the bottom of it flat, then cut a proper dovetail for that sight on what's left. That sight of left as is, is not only not solid, but too high. My fix fixes both.

65ny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd tap it back out, mix up some JB Weld, put a thin layer of the JB on the mating surfaces, tap the sight back in, clean up the excess and call it good.

I agree with this ^^^^ Rough up the mating surfaces and make sure they're really clean and that JB will be there forever. Kudos on your project, I like it.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like the JB Weld idea. I've used it to hold lots of things. With the tight fit you described, the JB Weld will fill the gaps and make it a non-movable sight. An idea with a bit more work...I can't see of there is enough room on the sides of the sight to drill & tap a hole in the sight for tiny allan head set screws. Using them the sight would be secure and removable.

NINEROUND

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is what I'd do. Your cut is too close to severing the rib top. I'd cut off the whole vent rib fore of the sight, dress it up, then mill the front base where the sight is currently, make the bottom of it flat, then cut a proper dovetail for that sight on what's left. That sight of left as is, is not only not solid, but too high. My fix fixes both.

Ideally I would have had it dovetailed. However, I don't have or know anyone that has a lathe or the proper die to cut it. I may still end up having that done at some point if this doesn't work out. As far as being too high, I have yet to fire it with this sight, so Im not sure where it will hit. My hope it to put the green dot on target and hopefully it will be close. It is after all, a short, cylinder bore shotgun meant for across the room dealings. A little high or low shouldn't matter that much. If I can find a clamp-on ghost ring rear, I may venture into the deer woods with it at some point.

NINEROUND

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd tap it back out, mix up some JB Weld, put a thin layer of the JB on the mating surfaces, tap the sight back in, clean up the excess and call it good.

This will probably happen. If I go this route, I will file off the excess "wings" that extend past the rib to try and flush them up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom