So I have a question about thumb safeties

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I feel most all of you have missed the point of the post but that's to be expected here. I didn't ask whether they were Superior or not or faster or not, I just laid out the reasons that I have heard for why some people use them and some people don't. The question is why has it become acceptable and engineered to not have thumb safeties on pistols but no one has done the same for modern rifles. If that is the way the tech is evolving and shooters preferences are evolving why did it stop at pistols.

Those that say it causes a delay, why is that delayed not acceptable on your pistol but it is acceptable on your rifle?
I would guess because there's no such thing as a double action rifle. SA/DA revolvers never had safeties, so I think the theory was a DA/SA pistol didn't need one. Striker fired are similar in that it takes significant effort to pull the trigger. You're not likely to accidentally brush the trigger and set off a striker or DA pistol. I can't think of a rifle that the trigger isn't effectively in SA mode with the safety off.

Just my theory...

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
I feel most all of you have missed the point of the post but that's to be expected here.
I think I answered most of your original post WRT how you asked.

However, to answer this last clarified question I'll say this:
You would have to incorporate some kind of Glock safety trigger, or a firing pin block, or a grip safety or some other internal safety device to make a rifle's safety functions, act like a pistol using these same features.

Putting these features on a rifle though, would most likely be impractical, cost prohibitive, and overly complicated/engineered because they don't function the same as traditional pistols.

Maybe, when someone decides to design a recoil operated slide action rifle with the mag integrated into the pistol grip, or maybe fore or aft of the pistol grip, then maybe we will see a rifle with a grip safety, trigger safety, firing pin block, or combo thereof in a rifle.

I can't speak to the delay argument because makes zero sense and is not a real-life thing, nor is the confusion of messing with the safety to the point of throwing your gun.

Last edited:

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess it all comes down to the design of the weapon on whether or not you need a safety!

I see no need for a safety on a weapon that has a exposed hammer.

A weapon with a encased hammer needs a safety.

Something striker fired just needs a garbage can! 😁

Maybe someone will make a double action striker fired ar15 and then they can remove the safety. Surely there is someone that will step up to the plate and buy one! Lol

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Safety first, trigger second. I am a 1911 guy, practiced many hundreds of thousands of draws over the years. Thumb safety is just part of my draw, does not slow anything down. Same with my 870 pump, safety is on while looking for a target, clicked off on the way to my shoulder. Just my preferences of what I have practiced and fits me. Yep, I would have a problem drawing with other firearms that have the safeties the opposite direction or in a different place for example. I have some firearms I target shoot that have different safeties but I do not switch them up my everyday draw/carry with odd configurations.

That is why their are so many variations of firearms on the market, each of us has our own way we practice with the firearm of our choice. To me, that is the key, practice with what you carry or hunt with. Again, practice, practice, practice.
Safety first, trigger second. I am a 1911 guy, practiced many hundreds of thousands of draws over the years. Thumb safety is just part of my draw, does not slow anything down. Same with my 870 pump, safety is on while looking for a target, clicked off on the way to my shoulder. Just my preferences of what I have practiced and fits me. Yep, I would have a problem drawing with other firearms that have the safeties the opposite direction or in a different place for example. I have some firearms I target shoot that have different safeties but I do not switch them up my everyday draw/carry with odd configurations.

That is why their are so many variations of firearms on the market, each of us has our own way we practice with the firearm of our choice. To me, that is the key, practice with what you carry or hunt with. Again, practice, practice, practice.
That is why I sold the PPK. That decocking lever worked just opposite a thumb safety. Just didn’t need that confusion in my wheelhouse.

Latest posts

Top Bottom