So I have finally started reloading

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dennis got it right.
I check my flare with my bullet .. Here is a picture.
But first I will explain the picture.
From the LEFT I have NO flare and the gas check on the base of the bullet will not enter the case.
Second from LEFT is how i like to make my flare.. the gas check enters the case about 1/2 of it's thickness NOT much.. I flare the same for my non checked bullets in lead also.

3rd from Left is a little too much for me.. is acceptable for some though , really not working the case mouth too much. but not needed either.
Last one all the way to the Right you can now see the flare.. way too much and hard to iron out and will lead to a split neck much sooner than the other cases.

Some dies will have a stepped flare.. where the case gets enlarged down deeper and the flare is at the upper portion of the case mouth.
Like Dennis stated almost invisible.. even in the picture it is hard to see the flare except for the far right case.
357flare 003.jpg

Bobcatman

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have the Lee Reloading Manual. I actually prefer the Hornady. The Lee spends more time bragging on their product, instead of filling the pages with real info. A fellow reloader taught me to check the rounds in my pistol barrel to make sure I have the crimp right. Good info. As for tools, I bought a $20 digital caliper at Harbor Freight (Frankfort Arsenal). I just started using a digital scale. Much better than the balance beam one I got with the Lee Kit. I use walnut media for range brass, but for fresh brass, I use corn cob. Also, Hornady has a spray lube called "One Shot", that is incredible. Place 20 rounds in a ziplock bag and spray them down, shake real good, and set out to air out a little before running them through their course. After loading, I clean the rounds with a good cloth before taking them out to shoot. Probably not necessary, but I don't want any chance for build up in the chamber, and I like a good clean round to run.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What Dennis and swampratt said about the flare. As for media in the flash hole, my air compressor is underneath my reloading bench right beneath my tumbler. I inspect every case for media in the flash hole, but every case gets blown out regardless. If there's media in the flash hole, it gets blown out. If not, it helps to blow off any remaining dust from tumbling.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just starting out is using the scale with my lee kit ok or should I just go ahead and get a digital scale?
the beam scale is the most accurate, don't have to worry about batteries going down, but with either, be sure there are no drafts or windy conditions as they will make the pan on the scale fluctuate and give erroneous readings.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All right gents I just picked up a hf caliper it's a digital because they are out of the dials, I was looking at pawn shops and saw som mititoyos but wasn't sure on how to check calibration of them so passed, I'm thinking about checking out eBay. If I pick up a used set what's a good way to check calibration or get them calibrated?

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Buy both manuals. One will do the job, two is better. You can't have too many. You will find that one may have data for powder that the other does not have. With todays powder availability data for more powders is good.

Even the smaller manuals from the pwoder companies are good. Online data can be useful too.

You can even download digital manuals with ibooks or kindle.

There are several ways to decrimp primer pockets. Even a drill bit in a drill can work. A drill press would be fast. Just hold the primer picket up to the bit. I use the Dillon super swage.

Asking for help on this forum is good too. A lot of us are willing to help.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The best way to check calipers is with a gauge block. New Mititoyos come with one. Wait, that may be their micrometers.

You could just get a hard piece of good metal, keep it clean and rust free and check the thickness or diameter or what ever dimension you want with a known calibrated set that you borrow. Then take that with you to try out the used calipers.

I would take a used Mititoyo over a new one from HF.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok I just got back from spending some money, academy had some of the hornady 9th edition in stock but they didn't have the small pistol primers I was after. I will be getting a better set of calipers soon but I just wanted a set now to fiddle around with, the pawn shop wanted almost $90 for some used calipers that I see for $25-50 on eBay.

Latest posts

Top Bottom