So I have finally started reloading

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With a good digital caliper, running nice smooth sweep from open to close will show it is working correctly. If it repeatedly returns to Zero it will be good. You can buy 1" and 2" standards if you are worried about it.

My Mitutoyo Digital Calipers are about 30 years old and have been awesome! I paid a small fortune for them at the time.

There is a set of Brown and Sharps on Craigslist for $45
http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/tls/5110281022.html

Attachments

• 2015-07-25 15.06.15.jpg
    2015-07-25 15.06.15.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 136

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Another question, if and when I start reloading 7.62x54r do I want to get dies for my press or one of the classic loaders?

If you own, or buy a press, you only need to buy dies.
Don't know about hornady single stage presses, but the LNL AP progressive requires bushings to go with the dies to make it quick change. I can go from a .40 pistol to a .223 rifle in about 2 minutes once set up.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a single stage press but I have 2 odd duck calibers 7.62x54r and 303 Brit, when I did research on reloading those I have seen where people prefer to use the classic (hand loaders) because they only size the neck.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a single stage press but I have 2 odd duck calibers 7.62x54r and 303 Brit, when I did research on reloading those I have seen where people prefer to use the classic (hand loaders) because they only size the neck.

Neck sizing is a different animal from full length sizing.

Neck sizing is commonly used when you only have one caliber and one gun that matches that caliber. Once its shot, it matches the chamber, so only the neck needs to be resized to accept the new bullet. It makes the brass last longer. You only need to check the brass length so it can be trimmed and deburred.

If you have a half dozen AR's, bolt guns in the same caliber or something like that, you will need to full length resize because each chamber in each barrel is different.

You can buy neck sizing dies to fit just about any reloading press on the market from single stage to progressive.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well the 303 I have 1 rifle and not planning on another so I think I will be fine, the mosin I have a couple.

I'm mainly more worried about the longevity of the case of I can get more reloads out of it by using the lee Classic I'll but that instead of buying the dies for my press.

I may have misspoke calling it the classic as this is to what I'm referring to

www.titanreloading.com_image_data_D2g_leeloader.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well the 303 I have 1 rifle and not planning on another so I think I will be fine, the mosin I have a couple.

I'm mainly more worried about the longevity of the case of I can get more reloads out of it by using the lee Classic I'll but that instead of buying the dies for my press.

I may have misspoke calling it the classic as this is to what I'm referring to

www.titanreloading.com_image_data_D2g_leeloader.jpg

I have zero experience with that Lee system. Somebody will come along that does.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
daniel, get the collett die from lee for the 303. it just sizes the neck and lets you use your press..much easier than the classic loader

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I started with the classic loaders in .308,30-30 and 30-06.
I used new brass fired from my guns and they worked fine.
A glitch: when i scored used brass(once fired) sizing them in the classic resulted in ammo that would not chamber at all.

I ended up getting a real press and dies.. now the classics gather dust.
Another Glitch: the .308 classic loader left the neck ID on my .308 Lapua brass way too tight like .302" ID.

Some 30-30 brass ID was very small like that also.. something you do not get with real dies.
When shooting cast bullets that tiny .302" ID for a .309" bullet does not work at all.

I would pass on the classic loaders.
I got them because i was a tight wad and wanted to get into reloading quickly.
I found reloading is not a tightwad sport.

Latest posts

Top Bottom