So I think Remington did another faux pa

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jedabug92

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I had issues with my first barreled action, the rifling was screwed up.
So today I was sitting there drooling over my rifle since it was shooting and doing what I had always wanted it to do, and notice this
uploadfromtaptalk1439155760775.jpg
So then I remember that at 50 yards it was point of impact was 2.5 ish feet left of point of aim, I didn't mind since my Viper had plenty of clicks.
So other than calling Rem and tearing into them up one side and down the other (which is useless) who has an idea or a possible plan of action?

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't tell a lot from the picture but if I understood what your saying your windege zero is only going to be true for the yardage you zeroed at. Basically your screwed if you zero for say 100yds and want to go after that buck at 300, 400, or
500yds.

I would send it back to Remington. If not I believe there are rings that can correct it.

jc5420

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Or you could send your rifle to someone with the proper tooling to drill and tap the receiver true and for slightly larger screws. Mechanical Accuracy? If not them then I would send it to LRI for a very quick turnaround time. If I understand things correctly. Not sure what the picture shows.

Jedabug92

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't tell a lot from the picture but if I understood what your saying your windege zero is only going to be true for the yardage you zeroed at. Basically your screwed if you zero for say 100yds and want to go after that buck at 300, 400, or
500yds.

I would send it back to Remington. If not I believe there are rings that can correct it.
Correct, windage at distance will be darn near impossible, I might have 1.5 full rotations of right windage left in the dial
Or you could send your rifle to someone with the proper tooling to drill and tap the receiver true and for slightly larger screws. Mechanical Accuracy? If not them then I would send it to LRI for a very quick turnaround time. If I understand things correctly. Not sure what the picture shows.
Wouldn't that require a new base with Franken screws?
Is the scope mounting off, or the barrel mounting warped??
Not the mount, I pull my one piece off and put on some classic two piece hunting base and the front is cocked off to the left just ever so slightly

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Easy answer would be to switch to Leupold one piece base with the twist lock front ring and the adjustable rear ring.
I have one Remington receiver that is off, not as badly as yours, but still visibly off center.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/13...rd-long-range-scope-base?cm_vc=ProductFinding

This if you want a simple solution. However a competent gunsmith could re tap your receiver. It might be a scope issue as well. Sometimes errectors marginally fail and with some effort you can get it zeroed and hold (normally for only a little while) try mounting another scope and seeing if it is your scope. (I have a spare vortex that's currently not mounted if you need to borrow a scope) it's hard to tell for sure from pic but it does look like either your action is tweaked or the holes are tapped off center. Or you could sell that jinxed rifle and buy another. Yet another post about remington and their inherent lack of quality control.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

Jedabug92

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This if you want a simple solution. However a competent gunsmith could re tap your receiver. It might be a scope issue as well. Sometimes errectors marginally fail and with some effort you can get it zeroed and hold (normally for only a little while) try mounting another scope and seeing if it is your scope. (I have a spare vortex that's currently not mounted if you need to borrow a scope) it's hard to tell for sure from pic but it does look like either your action is tweaked or the holes are tapped off center. Or you could sell that jinxed rifle and buy another. Yet another post about remington and their inherent lack of quality control.

It's already boxed up and kn the way to Rem (again) but I put the 2 piece on and it was off, I would sell it but then I'd be stupid in the hole (no pun intended) for a custom action/barrel.
And I'll let Rem take another Crack at it and if it's not up to par then I will explore other option.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hopefully they'll scrap your action and hook you up with one that isn't out of spec. You sure got a lemon. Too bad there aren't lemon laws against gun manufactures. Damn sure a frustrating process for you. Hope they get you fixed up finally.

Jedabug92

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hopefully they'll scrap your action and hook you up with one that isn't out of spec. You sure got a lemon. Too bad there aren't lemon laws against gun manufactures. Damn sure a frustrating process for you. Hope they get you fixed up finally.

Well the first action I had was good, just had a bad barrel, now a good barrel and pos action.
I'm thinking if the 3rd one is bad, I'll be calling Remington's Custom Shop.

Latest posts

Top Bottom