So I think Remington did another faux pa

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DFX

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cutting your 24 to 20 made it stiffer and sped up the harmonic resonance of your barrel.
But it will limit your max velocity.

DFX

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You might want to check out some other websites where the competition shooters hang out and see what barrel setups they are running.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My muzzle diameter on my .308 was .800" you would think that thick sucker would not get any better at 20"
My pencil barrel mossbergs at 22" were outshooting that expensive savage 24"

Whatever you get I say if you go long go thick.
Although that barrel shoots great now that you have.
If they could get you one that was straight that shot as good as that one you would not need some other brand.

Waiting game to see what they say when you talk to them again.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cutting your 24 to 20 made it stiffer and sped up the harmonic resonance of your barrel.
But it will limit your max velocity.

Yep. You can change the harmonics of the barrel several ways. Resting the barrel and not the forearm on a rest screws it up, Changing the length, improper crown, etc.
The BOSS system on rifles was ugly but one could dial in accuracy by changing the harmonics.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wow. At this point rebarreling the first one seems like the best option. After all the time spent at remington I'd almost demand they pay for the aftermarket barrel of my choice and installation by a competent gunsmith (obviously not one there ) you've sure had you're run of lemons outta big green. Sucks for you sorry you've had such a ****** few experiences with them. Or possibly it got damaged in transit. Either way it's on them (agin) maybe the third times the charm. Or just have Steve Baldwin lop a couple of inches off of this one and re crown it. I've been a fan of 26-28" barrels as I'm a velocity nut but I'm pushing a .284" 140 gn barnes at 3020 fps out of my 21" barreled 7mm-08 ackley I could get more velocity with a longer barrel but there's more than enough speed from this one to get out past 1k.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

jc5420

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow. At this point rebarreling the first one seems like the best option. After all the time spent at remington I'd almost demand they pay for the aftermarket barrel of my choice and installation by a competent gunsmith (obviously not one there ) you've sure had you're run of lemons outta big green. Sucks for you sorry you've had such a ****** few experiences with them. Or possibly it got damaged in transit. Either way it's on them (agin) maybe the third times the charm. Or just have Steve Baldwin lop a couple of inches off of this one and re crown it. I've been a fan of 26-28" barrels as I'm a velocity nut but I'm pushing a .284" 140 gn barnes at 3020 fps out of my 21" barreled 7mm-08 ackley I could get more velocity with a longer barrel but there's more than enough speed from this one to get out past 1k.

I am also a fan of longer barrels, but mostly so I don't have to ass ram a pound of powder in one case to get the velocity I need. Although my .223ai is no slouch on the powder charge department. 75s over 3100fps from a 19" tube seems pretty quick to me.

Either way, I hope you figure out whatever it is you want to do.

Jedabug92

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am also a fan of longer barrels, but mostly so I don't have to ass ram a pound of powder in one case to get the velocity I need. Although my .223ai is no slouch on the powder charge department. 75s over 3100fps from a 19" tube seems pretty quick to me.

Either way, I hope you figure out whatever it is you want to do.
I'm honestly leaning to a 6.5

Yea, I'll be on the phone with Big Green tomorrow or Tuesday, and I will see what can be worked out, I'd take it to Steve but I'm not paying to fix someone else's mistake, Remington is not my child haha.
They are a re large company, and more than capable of owning up to their mistakes.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm honestly leaning to a 6.5

Yea, I'll be on the phone with Big Green tomorrow or Tuesday, and I will see what can be worked out, I'd take it to Steve but I'm not paying to fix someone else's mistake, Remington is not my child haha.
They are a re large company, and more than capable of owning up to their mistakes.

If it where me I wouldn't let them touch it agin. I'd strip it down to the action and build what I wanted. You've already given remington two chances. Personally I'd spend my own money and have it done right. I understand they're a big company and you not wanting to spend money to fix their "f&@k" up but sadly sometimes that's the case with most things in life. Good luck getting it resolved in a way you can be happy with.

Latest posts

Top Bottom