So I woke up on the floor this morning...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hang in there. After three days (72 hours) I’d expect “most” of the major physical withdrawal symptoms will have passed. Your head is another story but the shakes and dry heaves are what I’m talking about.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
This outpouring of support is very humbling. I don't have a lot to say at this point, but know I should check in. Still sober.
Sick as you all know this will make a person since last night, couldn't sleep. Nauseous, no appetite, everything tastes like crap. Surprisingly, even my cigs taste like **** now. Frankly, I'd like to throw them away too, but I think that's too much to ask of my system all at once.

I wanted to make my excuses, (valid, but beside the point) but I made myself go ahead and go to church this morning. Managed to sweat, twitch, and shake my way through the services. It was good, although painfully loud. Truth be told, it would have been that even if I didn't have a raging headache.
I want to keep going, but I'll need to find something other than a mega-church. Too much like a concert with all the lights and crazy volume. The sermon had no appeal for me since it was about marriage, and I'm single...but it was still a comfort.

These physical withdrawal symptoms suck, but it's the emotional and mental stresses that are going to be my biggest challenge I know. Everything is just too bright and clear, while all simultaneously fuzzy. My thoughts are too loud inside my own head. I'm puttering around talking to myself, and the dog follows much more closely than usual. She knows what's up. Worried about me.

Guilt is eating at me...boredom. None of my usual casual time activities can hold my attention. Too restless, all while being exhausted. I'm looking forward to getting back to work tomorrow. At least my mind and body will be busy.
Sounds like you went to Life Church. I did too for a while and Craig has some great sermons but I wasn’t a fan of the music. I go to Crossings now which is still a large church but more traditional music in the main sanctuary. You might also try Chisholm Creek Baptist if you’re looking for a smaller friendly church. I went there for a while and some great people. Talk privately to Pastor Dan if you like. You are one day into a process and you’ve made it. Today will be another.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you don’t have insurance or a way to get healthcare, go to the AA meetings, look for any help you can get. Withdrawals are rough, but can present a serious medical problem, so it’s best to have someone around that can help figure out the signs and help you through them. I had a friend who had to be prescribed medication when giving up alcohol. This year I quit alcohol for 3 months, and went from drinking an awful lot, to a very reasonable, controllable amount. What lifestyle choices I have made might not work for everyone, but it worked for me. I highly recommend just giving up alcohol completely if you have any doubts about your self control. My best friend did just that this last year, and he’s really doing well, couldn’t be happier with his choice.

I noticed when I dropped alcohol I went through about a week of intense sugar cravings and overall restless sleep/bad mood/irritability/lack of satisfaction in anything. I found that if I substituted my booze for ice cream, it helped a lot. So in the evenings, when I was watching tv, or doing whatever, and felt the itch to have a glass in my hand, I would go grab a big bowl of my favorite braums Ice cream. It didn’t substitute for the burn of scotch, but it certainly helped. Soda, gum, or hard candy works well too supposedly.

Week two through five was worse in my opinion. My sugar cravings cut back to about half intensity, but I then went through what was the start of about 3 weeks of severe depression. Like deep dark hopelessness sit in the corner and not feel anything depression. It’s your body wanting those endorphins from drinking. It’s only temporary. But it can be a real dark spot. Just keep yourself busy. Start working out, exercising will help replace those endorphins. Go shooting, put in a few extra hours at work, whatever you gotta do to stay busy, because sitting and focusing on not drinking just drives people to drink.

I’m not the best at giving advice or helping when people are having a bad time, but I’m here if you Need advice, someone to talk to, or whatever.

I believe in you.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ive been sober for a little over 3 years and cigarette free for 6 years. I still have real cravings for cigarettes on a nearly daily basis and my best advice is to just worry about sticking to the plan today. If that feels overwhelming, just stick to the plan for this hour. If that is too overwhelming, just stick to the plan for this minute. When the next increment starts, just go ahead and stick to the plan for that one too since the last one is in the books. It can get overwhelming if you're already feeling down in the dumps and start thinking about never doing something again.

My battle against addictions is like eating an elephant, I just have to focus on one bite at a time or I will feel too weak and not worthy of living a "clean" life. The biggest benefit of finding at least one person that can be your leaning post. Preferably someone that has been through what you've been through because they will know what you need to hear when you need to hear it. I prefer tough love on that kind of thing because Ill be damned if Im gonna be a little ***** to some self destructive habit my brain thinks I need. Everyone has their own preferences though.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ive been sober for a little over 3 years and cigarette free for 6 years. I still have real cravings for cigarettes on a nearly daily basis and my best advice is to just worry about sticking to the plan today. If that feels overwhelming, just stick to the plan for this hour. If that is too overwhelming, just stick to the plan for this minute. When the next increment starts, just go ahead and stick to the plan for that one too since the last one is in the books. It can get overwhelming if you're already feeling down in the dumps and start thinking about never doing something again.

My battle against addictions is like eating an elephant, I just have to focus on one bite at a time or I will feel too weak and not worthy of living a "clean" life. The biggest benefit of finding at least one person that can be your leaning post. Preferably someone that has been through what you've been through because they will know what you need to hear when you need to hear it. I prefer tough love on that kind of thing because Ill be damned if Im gonna be a little ***** to some self destructive habit my brain thinks I need. Everyone has their own preferences though.
Great post.

I'll add:
When that monkey on your back starts lying to you, and you are thinking about giving in, get up. walk outside - do something completely different. Fresh air and a walk can clear the thoughts - addiction monkeys hate fresh air and sunshine.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just a bit of clarity, for an alcoholic drinking has absolutely NOTHING to do with self control or will power. To suggest you can’t stop drinking because of those reasons suggests a lack of character which is a fallacy, inaccurate and very counterproductive. It’s like saying someone with cancer, Parkinson’s or (fill in the blank) could have a complete recovery only if they displayed more intestinal fortitude. If some disagree I suggest reading the first 164 pages of the AA Big Book along with all the Xs Is and Vs preceding. There’s a night and day difference between a heavy drinker and an alcoholic and if this sounds familiar you’re most likely the latter. A heavy drinker can simply quit if given a good enough reason while to an alcoholic, they feel they “will die if they take another drink and if they don’t take a drink they’re going to die” both simultaneously. Talk about feeling hopeless and helpless.

RidgeRunner45-70

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just a bit of clarity, for an alcoholic drinking has absolutely NOTHING to do with self control or will power. To suggest you can’t stop drinking because of those reasons suggests a lack of character which is a fallacy, inaccurate and very counterproductive. It’s like saying someone with cancer, Parkinson’s or (fill in the blank) could have a complete recovery only if they displayed more intestinal fortitude. If some disagree I suggest reading the first 164 pages of the AA Big Book along with all the Xs Is and Vs preceding. There’s a night and day difference between a heavy drinker and an alcoholic and if this sounds familiar you’re most likely the latter. A heavy drinker can simply quit if given a good enough reason while to an alcoholic, they feel they “will die if they take another drink and if they don’t take a drink they’re going to die” both simultaneously. Talk about feeling hopeless and helpless.
Amen!

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This outpouring of support is very humbling. I don't have a lot to say at this point, but know I should check in. Still sober.
Sick as you all know this will make a person since last night, couldn't sleep. Nauseous, no appetite, everything tastes like crap. Surprisingly, even my cigs taste like **** now. Frankly, I'd like to throw them away too, but I think that's too much to ask of my system all at once.

I wanted to make my excuses, (valid, but beside the point) but I made myself go ahead and go to church this morning. Managed to sweat, twitch, and shake my way through the services. It was good, although painfully loud. Truth be told, it would have been that even if I didn't have a raging headache.
I want to keep going, but I'll need to find something other than a mega-church. Too much like a concert with all the lights and crazy volume. The sermon had no appeal for me since it was about marriage, and I'm single...but it was still a comfort.

These physical withdrawal symptoms suck, but it's the emotional and mental stresses that are going to be my biggest challenge I know. Everything is just too bright and clear, while all simultaneously fuzzy. My thoughts are too loud inside my own head. I'm puttering around talking to myself, and the dog follows much more closely than usual. She knows what's up. Worried about me.

Guilt is eating at me...boredom. None of my usual casual time activities can hold my attention. Too restless, all while being exhausted. I'm looking forward to getting back to work tomorrow. At least my mind and body will be busy.
Hang in there!! Just keep telling yourself. One more day. One more day. One! more! day!

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
May seem silly but this helped me at times. I gave myself permission to drink…..tomorrow, just not today. And then of course, the next day I said the exact same thing. I’ll drink tomorrow but just not today. Before I knew it I had several days strung together.

Latest posts

Top Bottom