So I'm getting my own little shooting range sorta...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radarmonkey

Let's go Brandon
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Heck @Aries York is the big city! Their population is about 7,850 and is the closest Walmart that I mentioned. It's about an hour south of where I'll be. If coming in late, I'd always stop there for "rations" since the smaller grocery stores close to home wouldn't be open.

As far as pheasant hunting....well that is not what it used to be in our area. They're coming back out west but haven't made it that far east yet. I was up there last month or so for opening week and we only saw one hen and a covey of quail.

We have a friend with lots of land who has let me deer hunt in the past so I'm hoping I can get in again moving forward and do some meat harvesting. It would be nice to get a few deer and turkey each year.
I've been grateful many nights to see that big multi colored water tower there in York. It's always been a safe haven when the weather turns bad. I used to pull soda lids from OKC up to Norfolk a couple times a month.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i appreciate all the good wishes. I guess I have most of you fooled if you think I'm such a positive guy and good presence!

I'll still be on OSA when I have signal. For whatever reason at the house there is no reception so to surf I have to go hang out in the back yard or stand out in the street. It's not bad to check in on occasion but that'll get old pretty quick once its permanent. I've been looking into the Starlink internet, supposedly its going to have coverage there this month or next. If I could get internet, that's the last thing a guy could need.

I'm about to head up with load #1...going to drive up there tonight, unload in the morning and head back tomorrow. The rest of the stuff will go in a box truck next weekend.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll still be on OSA when I have signal. For whatever reason at the house there is no reception so to surf I have to go hang out in the back yard or stand out in the street.
If you have a signal in the yard, one of those boosters should work.

I've been having to use mine lately, and it's just in the far end of the house hanging from a swag hook.

Luck and safe travels!
:drunk2:
___

MilitantBEEMER

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i appreciate all the good wishes. I guess I have most of you fooled if you think I'm such a positive guy and good presence!

I'll still be on OSA when I have signal. For whatever reason at the house there is no reception so to surf I have to go hang out in the back yard or stand out in the street. It's not bad to check in on occasion but that'll get old pretty quick once its permanent. I've been looking into the Starlink internet, supposedly its going to have coverage there this month or next. If I could get internet, that's the last thing a guy could need.

I'm about to head up with load #1...going to drive up there tonight, unload in the morning and head back tomorrow. The rest of the stuff will go in a box truck next weekend.
Safe travels!

Engineman1960

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am very happy for you !!! If it is peace and solitude you seek, I think you found it.

Things you might consider doing:

One of the best Aircraft museum I have ever seen, is located in Ashland, about half way between Omaha and Lincoln on interstate 80. The Strategic Air Command & Aerospace Museum.

https://www.sacmuseum.org
The worlds largest train classification yard ( I am not sure what that means -- my older brother loved the place) is in North Platt.

https://goldenspiketower.com/bailey-yard/
Good luck on your quest !!!!!

Hodrod

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
...but it's in Nebraska.

Tomorrow starts the move to Nebraska to somewhat take over my great-grandparents homestead. Seems all my life I've spent about 7-8 years at each place I've lived and that number has hit in Oklahoma. I came in 2014 and have pretty well enjoyed my time here and met some cool people. Even though I've never lived there, I've always considered Nebraska "home" since it's been the only constant in my life so its only fitting I give it a whirl. Nebraska will make state #6 that I've lived in.

Now, about the "range". I'll be able to shoot pistols inside the property. I'll have to set up a berm for more of a permanent range but for temporary setup I've always shot off of the back of the property into a friends field. I'd like to set up more steels that I don't feel obligated to take down every night so I'll work on that in the spring.

What I will be able to continue doing is set up "long range" off the back of the property. I can have targets at about 100 yards and 500 yards. It's shooting across a crop so when its soybean year I should be able to shoot year-round if I want, and when corn is in I'll obviously have to stop when the corn gets tall until harvest.

It'll be nice to develop some loads and try them on the spot. No more fighting goons at USSA or the long drive there. I think my gun buying will slow down significantly since I'll be able to enjoy what I have more and that'll probably keep me occupied in the hobby. Even if I don't add any guns to the collection, I think it's safe to say I have all my bases covered.

It's going to be a huge change of pace for sure. I'm smack between two towns...the one north of me has a population of 1500 and the one south has population of 750. Closest Walmart is 45 minutes away and the last mile to get to the house is gravel. I hope the winter is mild as this first one I'll still be in my SRT8 Magnum which is far from ideal for rural snow conditions. I'll work on getting a truck after I get settled in.

View attachment 238235
Congrats and good luck....you can't beat living in the country even if Walmart is 45 minutes away.....!!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom