1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

So it's been a couple months, what do you hate?

Discussion in 'Site News & Feedback' started by Okuma, May 17, 2016.

1. rawhide

rawhide Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    price and description in the hover for classifieds would be nice

2. AMT7

AMT7 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    You both illustrate major issues and something I like i.e. simplified (old listing format) that Tapatalk causes.

Hate the way Tapatalk interface & or new fourm software butchers the pasting from popular cloud note apps like Evernote, Google Keep, Dropbox, etc as the normally hidden html code suddenly gets visible and non functional like page breaks, paragraph and bold. I see the same problem (but Yahoo does not play at all with Tapatalk) with Yahoo Groups which I think soon may die (for several mismanagement reasons) as their pages have never gotten mobile browser friendly, particularly on lean secure ones like Dolphin Zero, APUS, Puffin Pro and won't allow entering of paragraphs at least a lot of the time and are very quirky, slow etc.

I got a bunch of scientists and engineers all in a uproar the other day on a hybrid technical forum with a 2k work post that I could not clean up.

3. NikatKimber

NikatKimber Moderator Staff Member

Rating
    100%
    As a non-user of Tapatalk (I hate, despise, detest, and hate "mobile" interfaces - as they frequently lose content or functionality), I really can't address that. You should report it in the section for that, and as a new topic if Tapatalk is not already a topic.

4. excat_56

excat_56 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    WAY too many sub forums that don't make sense (KISS - keep it simple stupid).

I get on, click "new posts", skim for a few minutes, and then get off. I do that a few times a day. The whole feel of the site feels bad to me now, not inviting, not quick, or not simple. (I'm a member of a lot of other forums, and have ran my own small personal forum, and have been a mod. Just don't like this setup.) (Firearms - Tech corner - 2nd Amend - GD - Classifieds (2 subs, firearms/knives and misc for everything else) - Knives - Outdoor recreation - 3 subs, hunting/fishing/recreation - anything goes area (by default should include all political and religious posts, don't like it? go find a forum that isn't a gun forum, which would do away with a lot of the stupidity in itself around here) - News (for the never ending news posts that happen on this site like no other forum I've ever been part of) - etc.)

I would personally limit it to no more than 10-12 sub forums. (I don't know if the next part is possible) I would also, if there was a way, have it where you can view "new posts" per sub forum. It's frustrating looking at "new posts" to see a page full of classifies. If I wanted to see classifieds, I'd go there. (I would personally get on click "new posts" under GD, 2nd amend, and knives and get off, or whatever I was feeling I wanted to see that day.

This site tries to be more than it is - a pro gun/2nd amend forum. Tailor the site to what the site is about, leave a very small area for the rest. KISS.

Sanford likes this.
  5. AMT7

AMT7 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Nik...,
    What both Excat.. and I and others are (am pretty sure) trying to get at most generally is most of us who care about configuration tweaking are sharpshooters focused on effeciency in our specific areas and care far less about a few mis spellings, few typos, grammer issues and are distressed by the multi-industry trends of diversification that has driven the errant results of trying to do nearly everything very poorly. But we care most about practical function without wasted fluff with no or marginal value. Specialization with continious improvement and excellent self analysis and corrective proactive improvements produces the best honed superior products and services. None of us want to see or be part of a slow demise or failure like yahoo forums is turning into or other dying platforms like AOL which had to buy other companies to survive who forgot what they were about and clogged their pages with extranious garbage trying to be all things to everyone at the same time overloaded their site with analytics tied to custom ads like most everyone these days which is slowing page loading terribly causing an ad rebellion and add culling soltware, plugins and browsers to rise quickly. Reality is a growing %'age of us have no or do not have time to get on a PC, or their work PC's are firewalled up to their eyeballs and or strangled with sub broadband speeds. All of which I suffer from. I too have been an admin & moderator on a Yahoo unmoderated forum and have run a site with Opera and know what works and does not.

Sent by a right hand on a mobile with Tapatalk

6. NikatKimber

NikatKimber Moderator Staff Member

Rating
    100%
    I will agree with the need to simplify the number of forum sections.

I don't use "New Posts" (never have) because of exactly what you mention: it's full of GD and classifieds.

So far that has been the most consistent feedback is the number of sections make it cumbersome.

7. YukonGlocker

YukonGlocker Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Classifieds are very easy to recognize and ignore when you hit 'New Posts' because they are the only posts with the white block containing the city/location. The forum is also listed there, so it seems rather easy to ignore those if you wish.

Every forum I've ever been on has some people that think we need more forums, and some people that think we need fewer. This is good discussion, though! If we want to generate discussion, all we need to do is play with the number of forums we have!

8. excat_56

excat_56 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%

You are missing the point. The point is, if I'm going to a gun forum, to read stuff about guns/2nd amend news, it's not for the classifieds. If I click new posts, and this is what I see, and I get 3 or 4 actual posts PER page of having to go through classifieds posts, I'm not interested. I don't want to have to go through 4 pages to see 15 topics and 40 classifieds posts. It's wasting my time and defeats the point in a discussion board. If I wanted to buy ****, I'd go to armslist, buds, or sooner state, where prices are better 90%+ of the time. No offense, you can defend it all you want, but making the site more cluttered and cumbersome will only hurt it more in the long run.

See screenshot below of last time I clicked on "new posts".

upload_2016-5-20_14-28-43.png

Sanford likes this.
  9. YukonGlocker

YukonGlocker Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    No, I didn't miss the point. And I'm not defending anything. I could not care less how many forums we do or don't have. I'm fine if we have only one for everything. I'm fine if we have 100. No matter how many forums we do or don't have, we'll have a minority of people that don't like it.

10. dennishoddy

dennishoddy Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Basically I agree with you. In the old forum format I could go to the different forums in the classifieds and with one click, Mark them as read. Had 5 selections to go through that took about 20 seconds, then nothing but new posts in the classifieds was on the new posts page where the content about guns, 2A, etc were discussed.
    What I'd like to see is one button in the classifieds that would "mark all read" for those of us who rarely go to or use the classifieds.