So I've never eaten a MRE before

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Honestly wasnt that bad...I'd be inclined to say I've had less appetizing dinners served to me at friends houses before LOL.
Its certainly not gourmet eating but it wasnt a chore or unbearable to eat it.

They really taste great after you've been snoopin and poopin in the field.

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Only a few years ago you could easily buy 2 cases of MREs on ebay for around $70 shipped and I was buying them regularly and having them for lunch or a snack. All these myths about them causing toilet issues are just that.. myths. Sure the entrees have TONS of preservatives to make them shelf stable, but the snacks and drinks are all commercially procured goods like beef jerky, dried cranberries, mountain house oatmeal, etc.

That being said, the worst one I've had was the Country Captain Chicken which was an early 2000s menu item. Best, as always, is the Beef Stew.. which I'm pretty sure is just Dinty Moore.

Blue Heeler

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is that the Crazy Russian Hacker guy? I love how excited he gets when he eats Russian Potted Meat. It's like me with BBQ Vinenna Sausages

Some years back in my career, I was the director of strategic new product development for a large meat company. I had a guy bring a shelf stable prime rib in for me to try. It was absolutely horrible. That said, we will have at some point, shelf stable meats that are as good as fresh cut. The technology is coming.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe its a generational thing and the guys who say they are horrible are remembering earlier ones?

Or had to live off of them day in and day out for a longer period of time?

I could see it getting repetitive, but I guess I eat basically the same 4 or 5 meals every week. Rinse and repeat LOL.

ICanFixIt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I actually liked some of the LRP rations. The chili and spaghetti were my favorites. Anything was better than c's. At least they both came with smokes. I learned that not all cigarettes were equal. I had to be pretty desperate to smoke the Chesterfields. Thankfully, I haven't smoked in a long long time, and I can have absolutely anything I want to eat.

Latest posts

Top Bottom