so many great single-stack 9s!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glad you like your Shield; it's a great pistol no doubt.

And as for you, doctorjj, ...nobody likes a braggart! FOUR??? Dang...
I can't help it. It's an illness. Find one at a decent price, I buy it. The price of them just keeps going up. They've been great investments so far.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can't help it. It's an illness. Find one at a decent price, I buy it. The price of them just keeps going up. They've been great investments so far.

Have hope. There is a cure. You must rid yourself of the accursed things...PM me for instructions on where you need to drop them off. I'm here for you buddy; I'm always glad to help out those poor addicted souls, such as yourself, who find themselves caught up in the maelstrom of the cycle...those poor souls less fortunate than myself.

:naughty:

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I once saw one at Dong's of all places, for $799. I didn't buy it...

Reminds me of the time I could have bought a 1974 BMW 2002 tii for $1000. It ran and drove great, needed a little syncro work in the tranny. Dad said "BUY IT, DUMBASS". I didn't listen. I was a teenager who wanted a "V-By GOD 8". Bought a craptastic, yet pretty Monte Carlo.

Regret both decisions.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The comments here have been interesting, especially the OP. I've had a number of single-stack 9's, and for a while I settled on the Shield, as did my gf. Then I acquired a 3913 just for grins, and before I knew it, my gf had traded me her Shield for that 3913. I got a second 3913 for myself, but found that if I'm going to CC, I prefer pocket pistols so I currently use a P938 in that role. It's not a range pistol due to its sharp recoil, but for its role, it does the job nicely while disappearing into my jeans pocket.

jbrentd

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only single stack 9mm I currently own is the Shield. I've also owned the PF9, P938 and RIA 1911 (in 9mm, but didn't carry it much). My favorites out of those have been the Shield and P938.

As of yesterday, I have a 3rd gen S&W 908s (value line version of the 3913) on its way to me from GB. I have high hopes for it, but am curious to hear what issues the OP had in the past with his 3rd gen S&W.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The only single stack 9mm I currently own is the Shield. I've also owned the PF9, P938 and RIA 1911 (in 9mm, but didn't carry it much). My favorites out of those have been the Shield and P938.

As of yesterday, I have a 3rd gen S&W 908s (value line version of the 3913) on its way to me from GB. I have high hopes for it, but am curious to hear what issues the OP had in the past with his 3rd gen S&W.

I have owned a 908 and a 3953 (DAO version of 3913) and thought they were both fine weapons. I particularly like the trim size/shape of the 3953. Also, and this purely personal but I like the slightly larger, easier to manipulate controls (slide lock, etc.) on the 3rd gen Smiths. However, IIRC there was a recall at one point on the 908s and I seem to remember mailing mine in to Smith where they modified it and sent it back fixed (I never noticed any difference).

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I went to a few gunsmithing classes a few years back the instructor was very adamant about putting together a "no work" list. A short list of firearms that you would not work on for people because they have inherent problems and although you can change broken pieces you cant fix the true problem. And if you worked on these guns it opened you up to possible headaches later from customers blaming you for the problem. The only one that he said should be at the top of everyone's list is the 3rd gen S&W. The school had one and we took it apart and I could see he had a point. Im not bashing or even saying their no good. Just passing along information. Although I wouldnt buy one.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
When I went to a few gunsmithing classes a few years back the instructor was very adamant about putting together a "no work" list. A short list of firearms that you would not work on for people because they have inherent problems and although you can change broken pieces you cant fix the true problem. And if you worked on these guns it opened you up to possible headaches later from customers blaming you for the problem. The only one that he said should be at the top of everyone's list is the 3rd gen S&W. The school had one and we took it apart and I could see he had a point. Im not bashing or even saying their no good. Just passing along information. Although I wouldnt buy one.
Interesting. What are the specific issues?

I've never owned a Gen 3, just curious.

65ny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting. What are the specific issues?

I've never owned a Gen 3, just curious.

I'm also interested. I own several 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gens. I'm fond of all of them, but when researching an extraction problem on a 4506, I found the consensus to be "send it back to S/W."

(I know a 4506 isn't a single stack 9, but since the topic was 3rd gen Smiths.....)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom