So racists comments are free speech?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe not when it comes to education and who is paying the bills. It's about time these "educators" realize the customer is always right. I hope we see more ramifications and consequences for these out of control liberal professors, or adjunct in this case, who spew personal issues or beliefs as fact. I can only imagine her doing the same thing in class, but probably much more aggressive and to a passive audience. Sounds like the audience is not so passive after all.

College professor fired following remarks on 'Tucker Carlson Tonight'
Published June 25, 2017
Fox News
A New Jersey college professor who appeared on “Tucker Carlson Tonight” to defend a black-only Black Lives Matter event has been fired after the college's president said she made racially insensitive comments on the show, according to reports.

Essex County College in Newark announced Lisa Durden's firing Friday. She taught communications and pop culture classes as an adjunct, the Newark Star-Ledger reported.

On his June 6 show, Carlson and Durden, who is black, got into a heated exchange over the appropriateness of allowing only blacks to attend a Black Lives Matter event in New York City on Memorial Day.

“Listen. What I say to that is boo-hoo-hoo,” she said. “You white people are angry because you couldn’t use your ‘white privilege’ card to get invited to the Black Lives Matter’s all-black Memorial Day celebration! Wow!”

Two days after the show, the school suspended Durden with pay. She addressed the matter with school officials Tuesday, three days before the firing was announced.

College president Anthony Munroe said Friday the Fox News appearance prompted calls from students, faculty and prospective students and their families “expressing frustration, concern and even fear that the views expressed by a college employee with influence over students would negatively impact their experience on the campus.”

He noted that although Durden did not mention her affiliation with the school during the show or claim to be representing its views, "her employment with us and potential impact on students required our immediate review into what seemed to have become a very contentious and divisive issue."

Munroe went further in explaining his reasons for firing Durden in a lengthy statement -- in which he invoked the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.

"The character of this institution mandates that we embrace diversity, inclusion and unity," he said. "Racism cannot be fought with more racism."

Durden declined comment Sunday when contacted by Fox News.

She has said that she was “publicly lynched” by the school.

On Friday, she told the Star-Ledger that she has received a lot of support from school staff members and students, but compared her experience to a rape victim who is blamed for the crime, and a person who returns from war to a hostile environment.

“I thought it would be a safe place for me,” she told the paper, referring to the college. “I thought when I came home from war, I would be safe.” Instead she said she was fired.

Durden's attorney, Leslie Farber, said she believes her client's free speech rights were violated.

"It is free speech guaranteed by the 1st Amendment of the US Constitution and New Jersey law," Farber told Fox News Sunday.

The attorney said they were considering whether to take legal action in the matter.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"Right to Free Speech" or "Free Speech" is a misnomer. We have freedom of speech and it can most certainly cost you. Say what you will, but be prepared to suffer consequences. Free speech is like free lunch. For a lunch to be free, you have to steal it or it will cost someone else. For speech to be free, you'll have to speak it anonymously (stealthily), and it might damage (cost) someone else.

Woody

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Racist speech is protected in so far as it relates to government censorship. It does not mean you are safe from ramifications when representing your employer.

And no, the customer isn't 'aways right' when it comes to education. Just ask any educator who has dealt with students who 'deserve' an A, despite getting Ds on everything.

She embarrassed herself and her employer and was fired for it. Clearly she has the victim mindset and probably has for a long time. I'm sure this wont do anything to change it.

it also remains to be seen if the school violated her right to due process before firing her. As an adjunct, she likely didn't enjoy the benefits of a contract. But in New Jersey adjunts could easily be unionized, which might change matters for her civil suit. Perhaps the school figures it's cheaper to pay her off later than deal with any fallout now.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Racist speech is protected in so far as it relates to government censorship. It does not mean you are safe from ramifications when representing your employer.

And no, the customer isn't 'aways right' when it comes to education. Just ask any educator who has dealt with students who 'deserve' an A, despite getting Ds on everything.

She embarrassed herself and her employer and was fired for it. Clearly she has the victim mindset and probably has for a long time. I'm sure this wont do anything to change it.

it also remains to be seen if the school violated her right to due process before firing her. As an adjunct, she likely didn't enjoy the benefits of a contract. But in New Jersey adjunts could easily be unionized, which might change matters for her civil suit. Perhaps the school figures it's cheaper to pay her off later than deal with any fallout now.

My customer comment was directed at the parents who are paying the tuition, not necessarily the student. It was more along the lines of follow the money.

Latest posts

Top Bottom