So There I Was, Coming Home From Spencer's BBQ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Glad you guys are ok. Sounds like you may have had what dealers call 'certified' cars with all work being done by the dealer. If so, get that documentation to possibly up the value to the insurance company?
Just a thought

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Glad you guys are ok. Sounds like you may have had what dealers call 'certified' cars with all work being done by the dealer. If so, get that documentation to possibly up the value to the insurance company?
Just a thought

This helped me a few years when I unexpectantly met a blond with a cell phone and ended with my car totaled.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is a liability claim because you were hit from behind.......you have MUCH more negotiating power in a liability claim. The property damage is a drop in the bucket compared to the possible injury claim. You may not hurt much now, but if you were hit from behind hard enough to total the car........I'm betting you will be dealing with it for awhile.

I'd decide what the car is reasonably worth and tell the insurance company that's what it takes to settle the property damage portion of the claim......or, tell them to find you a comparable car with low mileage, good records etc.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had a car stolen out of my drive years ago. OKC Police did not even want to come out to the house, took report over the phone. True. They found it at an apartment complex after insurance company paid me. They didn't pay much. It won't happen again dealing with them.
Best of luck to you and wife.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Glad to hear you weren't seriously injured. But, as was mentioned, it may be some time before you know the true effects of the injuries you have received. I'm afraid you could be suffering for a long time. Take care and good luck with the settlement.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ACV...

Actual cash value. A number unavailable to practically everyone; based on the Mannheim auction sales values. Be sure to let your insurance deal with the at fault parties insurance, that's why you pay them. Don't take a low ball offer, they have room to ensure you are "made whole". Including any medical expenses that might find you in a month or two.

Happy to hear no significant physical injury, hope it works to your advantage.

I know of no insurer that uses MMR for total loss settlements. Who is using that these days?

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, today the wife and I are sore all over. Kind of like falling and three days later hurting all over and can't figure out why-then you remember-you fell. A USAA rep called me today and said they'd take the car from the wrecker company and place it under heir care and no storage charged accrued. Then they have my local rep call me and negotiate a settlement. My right eye is so swollen that I can't see out of it black and blue.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It might pay to have your wife see a doctor immediately.

On the daytime court TV shows (yeah, I know technically it's arbitration), one of the first questions asked is, "How soon did you see a doctor after the incident?"

The longer you wait, the more they tend to think you're just milking the claim.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Insurance companies use NADA. Crooked car dealer use Kelly BB. Type in year with model options condition and mileage. My experience is with one totaled bike and a stolen one. Depreciation gets you big time. At times like this you almost wish you didn’t pay it off and had gap because of devaluation. Not that you would get it. Just the satisfaction of the insurance company having to dish out more
KBB isn't the ripoff it used to be. When I was a legal intern (2013-2015), I worked for a bankruptcy attorney. We used KBB because it was usually lower than NADA, which was useful to us for keeping the value of the car below the exemption limit.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can’t see due to swelling but the eye itself is ok. Now the Rt wrist is hurting and some ROM is less. Yep, went to the ER and rec’d treatment but if problems persist I’m going to family doc Monday. I’ve already told insurance company that I may go to the PMD Monday.

Attachments

• 8626DED0-D161-44CA-939A-9FD3E3D07743.jpeg
    8626DED0-D161-44CA-939A-9FD3E3D07743.jpeg
    59.7 KB · Views: 118

Latest posts

Top Bottom