So There I Was, Coming Home From Spencer's BBQ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glad you guys are ok. Sounds like you may have had what dealers call 'certified' cars with all work being done by the dealer. If so, get that documentation to possibly up the value to the insurance company?
Just a thought

It could well be a used car in exceptional condition. And that certainly can make it be worth more.

But.... It’s not a certified used car as OP as a private seller can’t sell it with a manufacturers warranty like a franchise dealer could.

Go_Ordnance

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It could well be a used car in exceptional condition. And that certainly can make it be worth more.

But.... It’s not a certified used car as OP as a private seller can’t sell it with a manufacturers warranty like a franchise dealer could.

CPO warranties are almost always transferable. Doesn’t matter that the OP isn’t a dealer.

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I HATE dealing with insurance companies. My DIL got hit and totaled her car when a lady ran a stop sign. They were lowballing her and she told me she was gonna take what they offered. I had her sign a waiver and sent it to the insurance company. I made them send me their comps. Game on bitches. I pointed out to them their comps were 6 months old, higher mileage and 6 states away. I gave them my comps and told them what we would take. The lady punched them in her little computer and came back $800 HIGHER than what I told her we'd take. Ya know what I said?? "Ok, we'll take it...."

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I HATE dealing with insurance companies. My DIL got hit and totaled her car when a lady ran a stop sign. They were lowballing her and she told me she was gonna take what they offered. I had her sign a waiver and sent it to the insurance company. I made them send me their comps. Game on *****es. I pointed out to them their comps were 6 months old, higher mileage and 6 states away. I gave them my comps and told them what we would take. The lady punched them in her little computer and came back $800 HIGHER than what I told her we'd take. Ya know what I said?? "Ok, we'll take it...."

If the offer is low, this is how to refute it.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, I checked around the internet and found comparable cars with like or similar mileage and for a 2012 model such as mine it'll cost $15995.00 to a little over $16,000 and that is what I'm sticking to because the car was in prime condition. I can sit on the situation for a long time until they concede because I have another car (I turned down the rental they offered). Used to be-I heard that they would give the cost of the rental to the insured but I hear that has changed-either take the rental or not. Regardless, it isn't going to take long for them to see the car and agree that it is totaled. From what I could see of the car that hit us, it wasn't damaged a lot but the air bags did deploy. I can't believe that we escaped serious injury, the rear wheels were pushed forward and cantered, rear-end shoved about 2 ft forward and crumpled side panels that wedged the front doors somewhat and I didn't have chance to look at the front of the car. Some of the bystanders asked "where are the people that were in that car?" And we told them it was us and they couldn't believe it! I'll try and take couple of photos tomorrow and post them, I've always been interested in auto wrecks and I assume other people feel likewise. Maybe I'm the only one? Also, I've been researching on the internet and an attorney charges around 30% of the claim received which to me is like going into a bear trap. The problem is that neither of us were seriously injured, soft tissue injury, sprains, headaches and i rec'd the laceration. One hundred years from now it won't matter anyway.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, I checked around the internet and found comparable cars with like or similar mileage and for a 2012 model such as mine it'll cost $15995.00 to a little over $16,000 and that is what I'm sticking to because the car was in prime condition. I can sit on the situation for a long time until they concede because I have another car (I turned down the rental they offered). Used to be-I heard that they would give the cost of the rental to the insured but I hear that has changed-either take the rental or not. Regardless, it isn't going to take long for them to see the car and agree that it is totaled. From what I could see of the car that hit us, it wasn't damaged a lot but the air bags did deploy. I can't believe that we escaped serious injury, the rear wheels were pushed forward and cantered, rear-end shoved about 2 ft forward and crumpled side panels that wedged the front doors somewhat and I didn't have chance to look at the front of the car. Some of the bystanders asked "where are the people that were in that car?" And we told them it was us and they couldn't believe it! I'll try and take couple of photos tomorrow and post them, I've always been interested in auto wrecks and I assume other people feel likewise. Maybe I'm the only one? Also, I've been researching on the internet and an attorney charges around 30% of the claim received which to me is like going into a bear trap. The problem is that neither of us were seriously injured, soft tissue injury, sprains, headaches and i rec'd the laceration. One hundred years from now it won't matter anyway.
Cars these days are designed to absorb the shock of accidents to reduce injuries. A lot of what would have been fatalities or serious injuries back in the day result in injuries like yours now.

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Just let it run its course, keep the info of the comps to use to negotiate if needed.

I personally wouldn't hire a lawyer unless they weren't offering anything on injury. I believe they are a waste of money and it's a paralegal doing the work anyway. Just don't take the first offer and wait some time and ask for what you believe the injuries are worth AFTER they make their offer.

Jeff405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glad as is well. Our 02' Camry with 180k was totaled a couple months ago. They cut us a check for 3k which is I guess what it books for. Wife is still going to PT. Hired a lawyer as well because their ins was dragging their feet and BSing..

Latest posts

Top Bottom