So We Are Thinking About Raising Speed Limits...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oklahoma Transportation Facts
ODOT is responsible for nearly 30,000 lane miles of roads. That is the same distance as if you drove from Oklahoma City to Los Angeles and back 11 times. More than 3,000 miles of our 12,266 miles of highway in Oklahoma need to be rehabilitated or replaced due to inadequacies. This is 25% of our highways. Inadequate roadways include those which have no shoulders, narrow lanes, deteriorated pavement, no or few passing areas (restricted by geography), large curves and/or too much traffic. Approximately 1/3 of Oklahoma’s driving surfaces are in “poor” condition which amounts to around 4,300 miles. Oklahoma has about 670 centerline miles of non-toll interstate. When measured for roughness, almost 50% of Oklahoma interstates rate fair, mediocre or poor, compared to a national average of 35%. There were over 56 million highway miles driven in 1995. That number has grown to over 65 million in 2003, a 13.8 percent increase in 8 years. Current traffic growth projections indicate a 33 percent increase in cars on highways and at the same time a 70 percent increase in trucks on Oklahoma interstates in the next 20 years. The American Trucking Association projects about a 50% increase in freight movement on highways in the next 10 years. The Association of American Railroads reports a minimum increase of 50% in rail freight in the next 20 years. ODOT productivity has risen steadily despite staff reductions of almost 825 people since 1991 – from 3,223 to under 2,400 today. Approximately 150 bridges have restricted load limits, resulting in extra detours and nagging delays for drivers. ODOT has increased the bridge funding by 76% over the next 8 years which adds an additional $182 million. This reconstructs another 97 bridges statewide in an eight-year period. While this is a positive step addressing this issue, more funds are needed to catch up. 1,099 of 6,728 bridges in Oklahoma are structurally deficient and another 534 are functionally obsolete. So about 1,600 need to be rehabilitated or replaced. 135 bridges are over 80 years old. 56% of accidents take place on inadequate roads. In Oklahoma in 2004, there were 666 FATAL vehicle collisions resulting in 776 DEATHS. 51 of those fatalities were children under the age of 17. State funding has only varied slightly since the early 1980s. ODOT had more state spending in 1985 than it currently does for FY2004. Due to stagnant or reduced state funding, dramatic increases in product and service costs have meant that ODOT’s buying power is significantly reduced – ODOT cannot, and has not, kept up with inflation, resulting in less work on Oklahoma highways. Current fuel tax levels are not enough, even though there are more road users filling up their tanks. Today’s vehicles are much more fuel efficient allowing many more miles to be driven on a single tank of gas. Gasoline and diesel fuel taxes are a flat rate not a percentage. So if the price goes up, the tax stays the same. Less travel takes place with higher prices, so less revenue is generated.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Oklahoma does need to attend a good bridge building school.

Yes, rarely are they level to the road surface. The roller coaster bridge on the west end of the Kilpatrick is hilarious, up and down, up and down, up and down for a good 30 seconds lol. It's like they mated two dozen arches together for a bridge surface.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The elevated sections of the Kilpatrick and of the Creek Turnpikes are atrocious at the joints. In an ordinary vehicle, one gets a "dipping" motion at each joint. We crossed the Creek Turnpike once going up to Grove some years ago with our F450 and 38 1/2-foot fifth wheel. Crossing those joints were making the rig buck so bad we had to slow down to 45 mph just to make it comfortable.

I don't know if any of the other turnpikes/highways in Oklahoma have elevated roadways like that, but if there are, I'd prefer to avoid them, especially in the RV.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The elevated sections of the Kilpatrick and of the Creek Turnpikes are atrocious at the joints. In an ordinary vehicle, one gets a "dipping" motion at each joint. We crossed the Creek Turnpike once going up to Grove some years ago with our F450 and 38 1/2-foot fifth wheel. Crossing those joints were making the rig buck so bad we had to slow down to 45 mph just to make it comfortable.

I don't know if any of the other turnpikes/highways in Oklahoma have elevated roadways like that, but if there are, I'd prefer to avoid them, especially in the RV.
A single engineering miscalculation on the proper tension to pull on the pre-stressed beams is to blame.
Exactly like a flatbed semi trailer, its cambered up with no load and designed to flatten out when a dead load of X lbs is applied. Same with those beams, they are prestressed with huge cables inside the concrete and when its cured, the cable its released at both ends and the beams cambers up with no load. The amount of tension has to be calculated for the weight of the bridge deck to flatten them out.
So an engineer consultant goofed on that single calculation and no one caught it until it was way too late.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A single engineering miscalculation on the proper tension to pull on the pre-stressed beams is to blame.
Exactly like a flatbed semi trailer, its cambered up with no load and designed to flatten out when a dead load of X lbs is applied. Same with those beams, they are prestressed with huge cables inside the concrete and when its cured, the cable its released at both ends and the beams cambers up with no load. The amount of tension has to be calculated for the weight of the bridge deck to flatten them out.
So an engineer consultant goofed on that single calculation and no one caught it until it was way too late.

Good to finally hear the story behind that as I used to live between Mustang and Yukon at what was then the end of the Kilpatrick on SW 15th Street. I was back there last week to go to my optometrist in Mustang and it appears they are gearing up on a project to fix those bridges after all these years. I was impressed with the amount of work already done to extend the Kilpatrick to the HE Bailey.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good to finally hear the story behind that as I used to live between Mustang and Yukon at what was then the end of the Kilpatrick on SW 15th Street. I was back there last week to go to my optometrist in Mustang and it appears they are gearing up on a project to fix those bridges after all these years. I was impressed with the amount of work already done to extend the Kilpatrick to the HE Bailey.
I have no clue how they are going to fix those bridges short of tearing the deck off and replacing the beams. I'll wait n see but I hope they do because my new lady lives north off the TP and I live south off the new section of TP.
The turnpike extension is near yukon is connecting to airport road.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Does your optometrist's last name start with a "P"?

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That would be correct - been going to him for over 20 years. He told me he's getting ready with a phased-in retirement plan that will have his son taking over the practice soon.

I think we have the same optometrist. His family and the wife and I go to the same church. I think his son is perhaps still in his internship at the moment, but I could be wrong about that.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

The creek is ridiculous, it’s a rollercoaster on the bridge through the swamp regardless of what you are driving but I can only imagine what I was like in an F450:pms2::pms2:

Latest posts

Top Bottom