So you’re out in the middle of nowhere and covered in seed ticks, now what?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Have a can off deep woods off in the truck door. Don't leave home without it and do not wander from the road without a spray down!! My school of hard knocks was chiggers!! I know none of that helps you now ....... do you have a quart of oil with you.... Bearing grease... anything to smother the nasty little buggers.. Good luck!

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
As a kid we would get covered with them in eastern OK every turkey season and during the summer when pond fishing. Sometimes it would look like our pants were moving there would be so many. Just brush off what you can when you get back to the truck, change clothes before you get in the truck and then those clothes went straight in the wash by themselves when we got home. Rarely did we ever have any attached and really even find any crawling. Usually it was always the big ticks that we would find attached. That was back before bug spray was a really popular item lol. Personally I'd take seed ticks over chiggers.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dawn dish soap will smother them in a few minutes if you cover them.
I wonder if you could soap yourself all the way down and stay that way for 7 minutes then do the Clorox bath thing.
I had hundreds on me once in Binger sitting on a rock .
I was there with a cousin and I stripped down and I did have some water on me ..That was rare.
I poured the water on the ticks and brushed them all off and here comes my cousin out of the woods.

He said what the He(( are you doing.
Well it is not an Indian dance I got covered in seed ticks, give me your water.

Like you are going to say no to a guy standing in front of you naked.

Not one stayed on.
I shook the crap out of my clothing and put it all back on.

I spray down really good everything I go into the woods.

No more naked Indian dancing.

You got a water hole and mud or sand I would use that to my advantage. If I had nothing else.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had a cousin that was a Biology major. He got a really nasty case of chiggers once. He did some checking and found they are a distant relative to lice (so he said). So he jumped n the shower and slathered them with that lice shampoo and waited about ten minutes then turned on the water and washed off. He said it worked. May work for ticks?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bathe in a mixture of chlorox and warm water. The chlorox should kill them. I have added a cup of chlorox to the bath water and soaked in it for several minutes. It's worked for me.
This is the answer. Put a capful of Clorox in a quart of warm water. Use a washcloth to wipe down your entire body. Everything on your body including bacteria will be dead.
The USDA says a 10% solution will sanitize everything and certainly kill ticks. I can verify it will take care of the ticks.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I almost always wear peremethrin, works great. This new pair of pants hasn’t been treated though. I also not only keep a can of 40% deet in my truck, but a bottle of 100% deet and an all natural bug repellent in my hunting bag. I use the 100% on my clothes, 40% on my exposed skin, and the natural stuff on my face. I dunno if these guys just didn’t care or what.

I’m gonna run into town today and see if I can find some dawn and bleach, and try those. Don’t have the old lady or nail polish, as I’m 120 miles from home if I remember right. Got another 2 days out here, I’m determined to make it.
Also turned those bluegill into a 28” flathead and a 26” channel cat last night. I’m pretty happy about that. Now to only find some squirrels and a pig out here.

wolfkpr

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I keep a lint roller in the truck. Works good, walk through stuff you think you might have got a few? Run it over your clothes before you get back in the truck. I also keep garlic capules- take them the day before i know im headed into a tivk heavy area. Treating your clothes with permethrin helps too..

Latest posts

Top Bottom