So you think your internet is slow? Welcome to 1984

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can’t believe I found this stuff. TRC to the Artic Ocean project…… all 512k of it. We could barely hit the bird, the dis was pointed down about 80 degrees. We were at the end of the footprint. C band of course. 65 below with 30 knot winds, don’t ever assume the once it gets to 40 below it can’t get much colder, dumbass🤣

Alaska side 512k link🧐

IMG_3556.jpeg

Master Earth station 41st and Yale 10 meter dish, now OU medical center
IMG_3551.jpeg

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well seems AI isn’t much better than the early 80s when we were working on it in Computing Research. Back to the future. Guess you’d have to have been there🤣. I may be the next code talker🤣🤣🤣

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was at Incirlik AS, Turkey in 1984. In 1985, I retrained into Satellite Communications for the USAF. School at Biloxi, MS, Keesler AFB, followed by specialty training at Ft. Gordon GA, on the AN/GSC-49 satellite terminal that I was supposed to go work on when I graduated from the school in May of 1986. Get to Eglin AFB, Site C-6, and sign in, and get told, "Oh, we shipped the terminal to Thule, Greenland last week, as the unit here is closing. Wanna do a Remote Short Tour in Greenland? Told them nope! Just got back from a Short Tour in Turkey. I was supposed to be there for 2 years. Turned into 6 months. Got a remote short tour at Princlik AS, Diyarbakir, Turkey, instead. Worked on an AN/MSC-46 that was a wounded veteran of the war in Vietnam. Originally designed for non-synchronous satellites. They slowed it down so it could track geo-synchronous (Clarke Belt) satellites... After the SF author Arthur C. Clarke, who was also a communications engineer, and suggested them in 1947. :) That was about the only cool thing about that tour. ;) Then to Shaw AFB, outside Sumter, SC, where I did Ground Mobile Forces (GMF) the rest of my Air Force career.

And while I was there, did Desert Shield/Desert Storm on an AN/TSC-100A satellite terminal in Riyadh, KSA, had fun with that. We were running the air war. Had to print out the frag order, and fly it out to the carriers so the Navy could send their aircraft out. We told all the pilots for the war where to go, and who to shoot when they got there. And Navy comm wasn't compatible with ours or the Army. Got back from the war, got the stuff cleaned up and working well again, and off to Lindsey AS, Germany, in Wiesbaden. Did some work there where we (some other poor suckers from the USAF out near Diego Garcia) strapped an AN/TSC-94A on to the deck of the USS America, and did a 4-hop satellite link from Germany to the Indian Ocean from my TSC-100. They were finally starting to take interoperability seriously.

Got here to the 3rd Herd at Tinker in 1997, and quit doing electronics and satellite stuff... except a bit at home, but the wife wouldn't let me buy a old satellite terminal for the back yard... :)

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was at Incirlik AS, Turkey in 1984. In 1985, I retrained into Satellite Communications for the USAF. School at Biloxi, MS, Keesler AFB, followed by specialty training at Ft. Gordon GA, on the AN/GSC-49 satellite terminal that I was supposed to go work on when I graduated from the school in May of 1986. Get to Eglin AFB, Site C-6, and sign in, and get told, "Oh, we shipped the terminal to Thule, Greenland last week, as the unit here is closing. Wanna do a Remote Short Tour in Greenland? Told them nope! Just got back from a Short Tour in Turkey. I was supposed to be there for 2 years. Turned into 6 months. Got a remote short tour at Princlik AS, Diyarbakir, Turkey, instead. Worked on an AN/MSC-46 that was a wounded veteran of the war in Vietnam. Originally designed for non-synchronous satellites. They slowed it down so it could track geo-synchronous (Clarke Belt) satellites... After the SF author Arthur C. Clarke, who was also a communications engineer, and suggested them in 1947. :) That was about the only cool thing about that tour. ;) Then to Shaw AFB, outside Sumter, SC, where I did Ground Mobile Forces (GMF) the rest of my Air Force career.

And while I was there, did Desert Shield/Desert Storm on an AN/TSC-100A satellite terminal in Riyadh, KSA, had fun with that. We were running the air war. Had to print out the frag order, and fly it out to the carriers so the Navy could send their aircraft out. We told all the pilots for the war where to go, and who to shoot when they got there. And Navy comm wasn't compatible with ours or the Army. Got back from the war, got the stuff cleaned up and working well again, and off to Lindsey AS, Germany, in Wiesbaden. Did some work there where we (some other poor suckers from the USAF out near Diego Garcia) strapped an AN/TSC-94A on to the deck of the USS America, and did a 4-hop satellite link from Germany to the Indian Ocean from my TSC-100. They were finally starting to take interoperability seriously.

Got here to the 3rd Herd at Tinker in 1997, and quit doing electronics and satellite stuff... except a bit at home, but the wife wouldn't let me buy a old satellite terminal for the back yard... :)
Ahh Diego Garcia, brings back fon....some memories.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ahh Diego Garcia, brings back fon....some memories.
Yeah, I cannot remember anyone I ever talked to who loved it there. :) Pirincirlik AS in Turkey was another of those places. Nobody liked it there. I enjoyed my job there, but let's just say entertainment opportunities were rather lacking. 261 people stationed there, IIRC. Malatya Hill was smaller though. Those guys thought a trip to Pirinclik was great. Maybe 45 people there...

:)

Latest posts

Top Bottom