Soft/hard cases vs safe for storage?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Before we begin, I am talking about IN THE GARAGE and for AIR GUNS.

I notice that if I leave some of my air rifles lying around out of the case in the garage, they develop the very beginnings of rust; it is easily wiped right off with some oil & rag. I do have cases for them, and if oiled and zipped up they are otherwise safe from the moisture in the air. But for space savings, I am considering getting a garage air gun safe. I know a lot of people store their real guns in safes in their garage. I'm wondering if I leave them in a safe (instead of cases) with a rechargeable dehumidifier if that would be an acceptable solution for the garage which can get pretty humid when compared to inside the house. I bought all these nice soft cases, but they take up too much room, whereas a safe could be a more conveneient way to store them if I could do it without rusting in the garage? I just wish I could have decided this before I spent money on cases but I never expected to get to this point in the hobby where I'd need this. I know they sell cheap metal gun cabinets too but they have breathing holes in them (I assume in case a kid accidentally got locked in) so I doubt a dehumidifier would do much if anything if i went with that as a cheaper option.

For those that use a safe or cabinet of some kind, how does it work out as far as moisture? Air guns not as expensive as the real thing, but I like to take care of my stuff.

Last edited:

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a safe in my garage for many years with a goldenrod and have never had an issue. Id recon any container WITHOUT a perfect seal would likely be ok with one.

Latest posts

Top Bottom